Jump to content

• views
    2306

Contributors to this blog

Marnie Galloway Q&A

Autumn

321 views

On May 5 at 4pm CST/5pm EST, we will be having a live Q&A with Marnie Galloway in this space! Stay tuned.

Marnie Galloway is a cartoonist and illustrator working in Chicago. She is the author of "In the Sounds and Seas," "Burrow," "Particle/Wave," and a chaotic mountain of self-published mini-comics. She has worked for years, professionally and recreationally, as an advocate and cheerleader for cartoonists of all ages and skill levels, and is excited to talk with CICADA readers about art, comics, being deeply engaged readers & writers, and anything else that brings you joy.

8 Comments

Recommended Comments

Hello Cicada! This is Marnie--I'm here to talk about comics, art, writing, or whatever else you are interested in. Add a comment to this thread and I'll jump in!

• Like 1

Link to comment

How do you plan comics? Do you go with the flow or are there a couple drafts before the final product?

Link to comment
4 minutes ago, Autumn said:

Thanks for chatting with us, Marnie! I'll start with a question of my own—can you tell us about one of your favorite characters you've ever created?

Ack, I just replied to this in a report, I'm sorry--still getting the hang of this! Just a sec, let me re-write:

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Autumn said:

The characters I spent the most time on were the three main characters from my wordless graphic novel "In the Sounds and Seas." Each of them represented (to me) a different way of making work: there was a "visionary," a big-picture planner; a "documentarian," who reflected the world around her; and an "escapist," who created different worlds to literally escape in to. Since the book didn't have words, that is how I thought of each of the characters, which helped me think about how they would interact with each other in different scenes.

Link to comment
8 minutes ago, drowntown said:

This is a great question! I am a big-time planner. I usually write out (like in a notebook or a word document) a general idea of a story, kind of like a book report. Then I thumbnail out the pages, which is where you draw quick, small sketches of what each page might look like--planning out panel design, where characters go on each page, how much text can fit on each panel, how quickly the story reads from page to page, etc. The thumbnailing process can take forever because that's where most of my writing actually happens! I go through lots of drafts before feeling comfortable moving on to final art. For each final page, I do a light pencil sketch and then draw on top of it with ink.

• Like 1

Link to comment
13 minutes ago, drowntown said:

Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Marnie Galloway said:

Very cool—are a lot of your characters representative of concepts like that? Does it depend on the story you're trying to tell?

Link to comment
Just now, Autumn said:

That character-as-embodiment-of-an-idea was really just for that book, which is more of a big allegory than something like literary fiction. To be honest, I don't think about character that way at all anymore, but it was really useful for that story! A lot of the comics I've made since then have been autobiographical, which is still character-building in a way. I'm showing a version of myself; how I draw my clothes, or my posture, or what little snippets of a much more complex reality I try to represent on the page are in service of trying to tell a good story.

• Like 1