Howdy! With all this talk about RPing, I was thinking we could do an OC RP?

Let's use @drowntown's bio format and tips.

The prompt:

Can I stay the night with you?

My bio:

Name: Caenus
Gender/Pronouns (if applicable): male, he/him
Species: human
Height:5'5
Appearance (plus a visual reference if youve got one): bright blue undercut, root beer eyes, trident tattoo on left shoulder, long legged, freckles. round, wire framed glasses.
Applicable Quirks (accent, biases, languages spoken, phobias, etc) queer af, has anxiety around growling dogs, likes black coffee, doesn't like heights, prefers to be in the water but can't swim very well.
Quick Backstory: Fell in love with a girl while working at a carnival ticket booth in the summers of his youth. Unbeknownst to each other, they transitioned at the same time. Grew up in a southern, mildly homophobic/transphobic rural town.
Weapons Abilities (if applicable): knows how to fight in small scraps, but that's about it.
Powers? (if applicable) none

Caenus looks at the text with mild curiosity. Who would text him at this hour, asking to crash at his place?

• Like 2

Not quite sure where I'm going, but I'm going somewhere, that's for sure.

hey i'm 100% Up For This, but i've got two characters that would fit into this prompt + have Interesting Conversations with ur own oc, so i gotta ask: would you rather caenus get to chat w/ a chill gay dude named jeffie who's Also from a southern, pretty homophobic/transphobic rural town and who adopted his sister's baby bc she had her out of wedlock Or would you prefer this hyped up, super excited trans guy named harley who goes on road trip after road trip to talk to as many ai experts as possible bc he feels bad his creation originally for the police force and wants to reprogram them? ill write up a bio for whichever, i just didnt want to take the story into a more scifi route (or have jeffie bring along A Whole Human Kiddo) w/o ur input, dude

current number of classic lit characters ive gone out of my way to project on and reason out why they might be gay: 8

Name: Nick Akoni
Height: 5'9"
Appearance: Chin-length tangle of curly dark hair, brown eyes, chubby. Dresses like some teenage emo, what with too-big hoodies and black jeans and some ripoff Converse. Poor kid doesn't realize this is exacerbated by the fuckin wallet chain.
Applicable Quirks: First-generation American to late Greek parents. Knows jack shit about Greece. Reads too many comic books, really. Deathly terrified of drowning.
Quick Backstory: Originally a resident of a small town with an incredibly biased and fucking awful police force, at the tender age of 18 Nick had the bright fuckin idea to do vigilante shit. Like Batman, but poor and bitter. And thus: Tarfeather was born. Luckily for him, kickboxing classes were free with volunteer instructors, and this sap thought 6 months of that shit would prepare him for bringing justice to those who walked out of the courthouse sentence-free. (You know, shitty rich white boys who could get away with anything.) Nick's MO was simply to try and teach whoever a lesson via humiliation (aka: oh shit criminals keep getting netted like fish and hung in the net from streetlights naked). It was probably more a nuisance and nobody was getting hurt, but an officer 'accidentally' knocked Nick while he was out doing his vigilante thing from a tall pier at low tide. Yikes. Tuck and roll, kid. He almost drowned facedown in the tide.
And yeah, wow, after that who wouldn't get the fuck outta there? He's living out of his car now, traveling the coast.
Weapons Abilities: Kickboxing.
Powers: None.

Does he have Caenus' number? Who fucking knows. Could be a mistyped number or one of his old contacts changed their number, and Caenus got the number with a new phone plan. Either way, the area code was where Nick was driving through now.

holla holla get dolla

@conradbirdie I can't fucking decide. They both sound like wholesome loving characters and I wanna meet both of theeemmmmm

@drowntown Caenus reads the text, thinks to himself, "eh, fuck it." He replies, yeah, sure, here's my address. Kathrine would kill him for being such a dumbass, letting a stranger crash at his place, but it was already too late. He lays some blankets on the floor of his one bedroom apartment and grabs his skateboard to go get some groceries.

Name: June Lisabeth Andreson
Age: 19. She’s not sure when her exact birthday is, but her dad always said she was his sweet summer child.
Gender/Pronouns (if applicable): female, she/her
Height: 5’3” but is a tall person on the inside
Appearance (plus a visual reference if youve got one): pastel pink hair, dark roots because who cares about dying it regularly? Brown eyes, skin someone once called mocha-colored, made of like 75% muscle, no tattoos but a scar going from the base of her left pinky to her wrist. 
Applicable Quirks (accent, biases, languages spoken, phobias, etc): bi? pan? Who knows? Who cares? Hates black coffee because of her dad, loves curry because it reminds her of her dad, takes stupid risks, will do anything for a bet.
Quick Backstory: Got in trouble with the police occasionally but she always talked her way out of it. Her dad died two and a half years ago, and she left the foster system as soon as she could. Will use her dad’s military college credit to go study photojournalism, but first, a gap year to make some cash. Somehow. Still close with her last (and also first) foster brother, who grew up in a southern, mildly homophobic/transphobic rural town. He liked boys more than she did.
Weapons Abilities (if applicable): basic self-defense, loud scream, determination, can shoot a gun. 
Powers? (if applicable): none

Keith is the only good thing about this town, June thought as she walked towards the grocery store with headphones in and camera around her neck. 

Edited by queenie_flower

@Short_comedian Oh, fuckin' neat. Nick, a reckless fool, inputted the address into his GPS while still driving the interstate. In 32 miles, take a right onto Turing Ave. "Thanks, Karen. Your robotic input is as perfectly timed as always." Pointed snap of gum. The GPS, a generic thing, did not respond.
Rolling into town on nothing but fumes and a tailwind, Nick refueled at the cheapest nearest gas station he could find, fishing his last fifty out of his hard cash reserves. Nothing but twenties and change now. Sure, the bank card worked, but he wasn't far enough away from home to trust it yet.
His brakes squeaked in protest as he changed gears into park in the Karen-approved apartment lot. A quick smell check and mental calendar told Nick that since his last shower at a truck stop yesterday, he was probably in fine shape to be seen.
Finding no other reason to procrastinate, he pulled the keys out of ignition and, by Karen's screen illumination, found his way to the correct apartment door.
He knocked.

Edited by drowntown
forgot to fuckin @ mention

holla holla get dolla

@Short_comedian b l e s s i flipped a coin and got harley, hope ur ready to have. either a Large Party Of Happenstance or a Ton Of Separate Timelines on ur hands good luck my dude!

Name: Harley Richardson
Age: 23, he's technically a prodigy but he says he's gotta stop putting his phone in the fridge by mistake before he actually counts as one.
Gender/Pronouns (if applicable): Male, he/him.
Species: Human.
Height: 5'7''.
Appearance: His mousy brown hair is down to his shoulders by now, out of pure 'cutting it takes to long' stubbornness. But he still hasn't worked out like a dozen of the tangles, so he just keeps it up in a ponytail. Green eyes, a ton of darker birthmarks scattered here and there, and lanky as all get out.
Applicable Quirks (accent, biases, languages spoken, phobias, etc): You know that 'call me gay, it saves time' image? That's Harley. Also he's pretty much never without 80s music. He's still got major abandonment issues, though, especially for someone who doesn't stick around long due to road trips.
Quick Backstory: Harley didn't have the money to go to a fancy college, but what he did have was an absent father who left behind a shit ton of programming gear. And a solid hero complex, but no muscles or guts (but enough sense to not) actually get out there and try and get into knife fights behind a fuckin' 7/11. So he made an AI (named Unit Four) specially designed to predict the movements of criminals based on every piece of evidence known about them. Family life, affiliations, mental health, everything. Unit Four had a breakdown much too emotional for Harley to handle, so he packed up all his equipment and hit the road to try and figure out how to help his quasi-child.
Weapons Abilities (if applicable): He can't even throw things right. Get this boy some self defense lessons.
Powers: none.

Harley was stellar at picking out whichever person in one of his various online classes and presences was kind enough to let Harley bum a night there. 'Stellar' just meant 'haven't gotten yelled at too much over text yet', but Harley was willing to accept that as a success right now. Even though he'd hooked up Unit Four to the generator in the backseat and rolled all the windows down to get a solid mix of Four's chattering and cold night air to keep him sharp, he was still aware of how dangerously close he was to falling asleep at the wheel. His eyelids felt like they'd been infused with steel. So he pulled off to the side of the road, grabbed his phone, and scrolled through the list of contact info he had collected for various places on his way cross-country. To be honest, he picked the icon labelled 'Caenus' just 'cause it sounded like an awesome name. He wasn't even sure where he'd picked up this guy's number. He shot off a quick text, 'hey caenus, mind if i crash at your place for tonight? its harly btw. remember me?' Sure, the vaguely guilt-trippy ask of remembrance might have been laying it on thick, but with luck, maybe this guy would straight up tell Harley where they'd met so he himself didn't have to guess.

Edited by conradbirdie
  • Like 1

current number of classic lit characters ive gone out of my way to project on and reason out why they might be gay: 8

June was in the middle of the cereal aisle when Keith called. And when Keith, who hated phone calls almost as much as Fox News called, it was urgent enough for her to pick up. Keith spoke quickly, detailing his little sister’s emergency and why he needed her to get to her apartment sooner than she possibly could. He said he’d send the address, that Laurie was fine, that June just had to get to this strange apartment NOW. So, still grumbling, she grabbed the nearest box of cereal and sprinted through the checkout, with half the groceries she’d come to get for Keith, and stabbed the messily texted location into her phone. It wasn’t a long walk to the apartment, but when she slammed open the unlocked door on the third floor so it hit the wall, it definitely wasn’t Laurie’s. 

“Oh,” she said as eloquently as one could while holding a tearing paper bag of groceries and standing in the doorway of a stranger’s apartment.

Is it too late to hop on this bandwagon? Never mind, I'm doing it anyway.

Name: Agnes Stoker
DOB: 30 September 2000 (I’ll save you the math, that makes her 17)
Gender/Pronouns: goes by she/her right now (for reasons) but hella unsure
Species: Human
Height: 5’4”
Appearance: She has chin-length light brown hair and dark brown eyes that almost look black. Her legs are depressingly weak, but her upper body is strong-ish, and her hands and feet are on the small side. Usually she wears jeans and T-shirts, but has a thing for fancy outerwear (boots, peacoats, nice hats, etc.) and the occasional sundress.
Applicable Quirks: Slight Canadian accent despite having been in the States for four years now. She speaks Canadian French, but refuses to use it because, “I am not a toy.” Her greatest fear is being alone, really alone, which she might be right now.
Quick Backstory: Agnes lived with her Papa and brothers in Quebec until July of 2014, when one of her brothers got married and offered to take her to Virginia. Charlottesville is an okay town, but now that her brother is about to have a kid and her best friend has moved to Michigan, she’s running away. It was a stupid, impulsive decision, and she’s been five days without a shower.
Weapons Abilities: none whatsoever
Powers: nope

Agnes pulled on her greasy hair as she gazed into the bent mirror of the campground bathroom. She was not staying here any longer. For the twelfth time in five days she wished she had a phone, or a friend, or some sense. Pulling on her backpack, she strode out of the campground and took the first side road that didn't seem busy.

WIN_20180115_09_54_43_Pro.jpg

@conradbirdie @drowntown @queenie_flower @The Invincible Troodon

Caenus stood, confused and slightly concerned at all these people seeming to be running to him. As he was showing Nick to the hastily made bed on the floor of his room, his phone dinged again, and a small girl with bright pink hair threw his door open. "What the hell-wait, you're Keith's sister, aren't you? Hold on a sec," he said before looking down at his phone. It was  a text from a guy he'd met at a support group once. Asking to crash at his place. And since he'd already opened his home to two people, why not a third? He replied with a yes. "Alright kids, we're going to the grocery store," he put down his skateboard and waved his hand toward the door. Harley would be here soon, so they had to hurry before he got here. In any case, he texted Harley to just let himself in if no one was home. "Get your coats on, kids," he called to June and Nick. He pulled out his wallet and quickly calculated how much cash he had. He thought about the last time he checked his bank account. Ramen with canned vegetables it is.

On the walk to the store, the trio encountered a young girl, around 17 years old, walking along the road. Caenus stopped.

"Hey, are you ok? We're going to the grocery store right now, but here's my address if you need a place to stay." Caenus kept walking, not because he wasn't interested in an answer, but because he really needed to get some groceries before Harley got to the apartment. Also more blankets, because he didn't have a couch and only a couple blankets. 

When the trio finally got to the store, Caenus directed June to find some blankets. Blankets would be difficult to find in a normal grocery store, but this store was more of a general store than a grocery store. He sent Nick to find some canned vegetables and water. The water in his apartment wasn't the best, and he wasn't about to give his guests lead poisoning, no matter how unexpected they were. They eventually got the needed supplies, and Caenus picked up a new DVD in case anyone wanted to watch something before hitting the hay.

@Short_comedian @drowntown @queenie_flower @The Invincible Troodon

Harley leaned back in his seat, eyebrows raised. That was one hell of a hurried yes, but it was a yes all the same. And he wasn't about the question good fortune. He turned back onto the road again, chucking his phone onto the passenger's seat. Unit Four groaned from their spot securely strapped into the back bench seat.
"The phone doesn't have sentience. Why not give the spot up for something actually capable of emotions? 'I call shotgun'." Harley snorted.
"The front seat's reserved for folks who wont get their circuits smashed up in a crash. Nice try, though. That's some sweet use of phrases, kiddo. Wait, fuck, I need-" He leaned over to grab his phone again, swerving dangerously close to the edge of the road, but managing to steady everything enough to pull up a map to Caenus' house and stick the phone on the dashboard without crashing. He was kinda glad Unit Four didn't have much sensing gear other than half a dozen microphones Harley worked on for ages, otherwise they'd probably be insulting Harley's skills at every swerve. 'Cause Harley had raised Four right.
"Where are we going?"
"Caenus' place. House. Apartment. I dunno. Did I talk to you about him, like- You wanna dig up some dirt for me?"
"You met Caenus at a support group around this area and said, and I quote, 'dude looks like Poseidon but as a kinda twink-ish art student'. And I said, and I quote, 'Harley, I'm pretty sure we're going to be driving through this area again, and if I have to rehash your comments about him, I'm going to power myself off.' So with that-" Unit Four's voice switched to a clearly pre-programmed phrase. "Goodnight, see you in the morning!" Then back again, just for a moment. "Please uninstall that, it's driving me crazy." And then there was the hum of Four powering down. Harley snorted again. Luckily, he was close enough to Caenus' that he didn't get too tired finishing up the drive, hauling Four up the stairs, and managing to let himself in and situate Four's various speakers and microphones. He'd brought along the generator, though. He was a kind enough guest to not completely fuck up his host's power bill.

@Short_comedian 

Agnes stared at the address she had just been handed. It had to have been the sketchiest looking thing she had ever seen in her life. Then again, she was 75¢ and a can of beans from dying out here. If she was doomed anyway, why not also make the news? She quickly took out the map she had taken from the campground and headed towards the address she had been given.

@The Invincible Troodon @drowntown @Short_comedian @conradbirdie

June wasn’t sure how she’d gotten roped into grocery shopping with a group of strangers, but as she yanked half the stock of fleece blankets off the store’s shelves and threw them into a cart, she decided that at least she had a place to stay. She didn’t expect to volunteer to pay for the supplies, either, but this seemed like an important restocking mission, and damn it all if she wasn’t going to get a Wonder Woman blanket out of it. At least, that’s the excuse she used when she rode down the aisle on her cart and nearly crashed into a display of canned foods. She was doing this for the blanket and as a ‘thanks for letting me apparently crash here, even though I’ve never met you’ type gift, not for this group of weirdos.

(I was going to wait for @drowntown to post before doing this but reading a forum on waiting for Rothfuss to publish his 3rd Kingkiller Chronicle book made me impatient)

@The Invincible Troodon @queenie_flower @conradbirdie

Caenus got a text from Harley as he was checking out. He was at the apartment, as was the girl he had encountered on his way to the store. He threw some candy bars on to the conveyor belt for the hell of it and paid. He was grateful for June paying for some of the blankets, because his wallet was looking seriously empty and he wasn't due to work for another week. 

The group (getting larger by the hour, it seemed) arrived back at the apartment to find Harley and the girl (whose name he still didn't know) standing awkwardly. Caenus dropped the groceries on the small counter in his tiny kitchen and clapped his hands. "Everybody gets two blankets and I'm starting the ramen now. There's DVDs next to the TV if you want to watch anything. No cable," he explained as he got out a pot and filled it with water. He looked to the girl. "What's your name?"

(fuck yall sorry apparently i missed the party sdkjgdjfsd) @Short_comedian

Fuck? Okay? Nick was pretty damn sure that the contact in his phone labeled 'Dicklord' was not whoever had opened their home to him, but he was absolutely not about to say 'hey have we??? Met?? For long enough for me to assess your character as the kind of person who I'd put 'Dicklord' in my phone as???' so Nick's just kinda rolling with everything at this present moment. Feels good. Feels organic. Oh god please do not panic.
Ok?? Grocery run? Nick did kinda need sustenance that did not take the form of freeze dried strawberries from a dollar store. And like, he'd technically prefer to stay in this apartment, but how would he say that without sounding like he was gonna rob this guy soon as he left? Exactly. Grocery run it was.
Parting from the group (which was. growing alarmingly quickly, holy shit) upon actually arriving at the store, Nick dashed down the 'International' aisle for some instant kimchi rice, which was just as good as ramen with 3x the protein and at least 650 calories all packaged up in a nice lil container for $3 or less. Hell yeah.
Slipping by Caenus to check out at another counter after grabbing bottled water, Nick continued to just kinda. Roll with whatever was happening.
Oh. Ok. Wow. And Nick was feeling crowd panic in this Chili's tonight, yessir. He'd not bothered to like, talk to anyone really? Just chillin' with his plastic-bagged kimchi and trailing behind the group. Upon arriving back at Caenus' apartment and hearing the blanket ultimatum, Nick all but pounced on the makeshift bed and claimed two of 'em. Fuck yeah. 
Hopping up to stick his kimchi rice shit on the counter, Nick hesitantly offered to boil the water or something. "I'm Nick, by the way. Akoni. Nick Akoni. Have I... uh, I didn't catch your name." Smooth. Real smooth.
Nick was hells of out of his league here but he didn't really. Want to leave? Because that felt rude? But hell, he's in some stranger's apartment. Fuck, he'd oughta clean the windows or something in exchange.

holla holla get dolla

@drowntown

"Sup, Nick. I'm Caenus," Caenus said as he put the pot of water on the stove. "Wanna tell me what you're doing around here?" he asked, opening a few of the cans on the counter. "It seems like everyone in this apartment is running from something. Or to something. You don't have to answer if you don't want to. Some stories are better left unsaid. I should know." 

@Short_comedian

Caenus. Gotta fuckin' remember that (and change the contact name from Dicklord, holy shit). "I, uh. Road trip? And your...contact number. In my phone. Yeah." Nick shrugged, fiddling with the lid of his kimchi rice bullshit. "From closer to the coast. Up north."

holla holla get dolla

@drowntown @Short_comedian

Harley managed to both get Unit Four completely set up so they could power themselves back on whenever they pleased, and was suddenly struck with the realization that he was really fuckin' hungry. But when he wandered into the kitchen, he was met with an air of- Awkwardness? Considering this whole situation was weird as hell, it didn't deter him from scooching past the emo looking dude to look through the groceries brought along. "Hey, y'all. Don't mind me, just-" He turned to look at the apparent host and snorted. "Oh my fuckin' god, you seriously do look like art student Poseidon. I'm Harley. Don't touch my kid. They're the one in all the wires 'n shit. So you're Caenus, and I probably don't know you," he said, pointing to each respective person.

@conradbirdie @Short_comedian @drowntown @The Invincible Troodon

(Lol I’m not going to keep up with this forever just gonna pray you notice me)

June turned from her spot on the floor and rolled her eyes at Harley. 

“Well, that’s probably because you haven’t asked. I’m June. I’d introduce everyone else, but my brother told me to come here and I only know those two’s names because they just said them.” She looked over at Unit Four and her face lit up. She jumped to her feet. “Dude, your kid looks sick as hell. Like, the good kind.” She paused for a moment. “Wait, does it care if I swear? Am I corrupting it?”

@Short_comedian @drowntown @conradbirdie @queenie_flower

"Um, you guys?" Agnes managed to say, before bumping into a lamp. "Oh, uh, sorry 'bout that." 

Smart move, she thought. Get them all to notice you before they even know who you are. 

"I mean... never mind. No, wait! I do need to know. Not that it's as important as I'm making it seem right now, but you know, in the range of information I'd like to have." God, this could not seem more awkward. "What's the deal with this place?"

After a short pause she added, "I'm Agnes by the way."

@drowntown @Short_comedian @queenie_flower @The Invincible Troodon

"June. Got it. Month-name. And Agnes. Haggis, but, like, not." Harley's face lit up the second June asked a question, and just like that, he forgot about the food he'd been trying to sneak away in favor of leaning onto the counter to get a little closer to her.
"They're called Unit Four. I keep asking if they, like, want a more human-namey-name but they said it 'just proves that they're better than at least 3 other AIs'. And they, like- Learn off of what folks say around them and sometimes the internet 'n shit? So trust me, they swear like a truck driver when they want to. You're not gonna harm anything. God, I'm so glad you asked that."

Still, he pointed back at Agnes, eyebrows raised. 
"Good fuckin' question. Caenus, dude, are you just- That nice? What're the chances of us all being here at the same time, anyway?"

"Yeah? Fuck? Dude, I like. Already made internal plans to secretly Windex all your glass surfaces, but. Y'know. For starters, I've got no fuckin' clue where the Windex is." Silently noting the others' names, Nick just kinda nabbed some of the semi-boiling water, poured it into the mess of kimchi-flavored rice krispies-esque instant rice, and put the pot on the stove again while commandeering the use of the microwave. "And uh. I think you were pointing at me. I'm Nick," he introduced awkwardly to Harley.

@Short_comedian@conradbirdie

(wow i missed a Party)

holla holla get dolla

@drowntown @Short_comedian @queenie_flower @The Invincible Troodon

"Nick. Sweet hair, dude. I'm just gonna-" He  scooted back around to try and poke though the groceries, before settling on just grabbing a candy bar or two. Not the most nutritious meal, but it had been a while since Unit Four had been around this many people besides back in the police station way back when, so he wanted to be able to dash over the second they powered back on again. He still couldn't tell if it was sheer pattern recognizing that freaked Four out or if it was straight up flashbacks, but hey, distress was distress. Come to think of it, everyone in this room seemed at various levels of distress.
"So. Should we sort out who's gonna sleep where? Should we have a feelings sesh'? 'Cause I'm cool talking about 'yeah, I'm on the road to try and get my kid ultra-therapy' but not much beside that."

Edited by conradbirdie

"Oh my god?" Somehow Nick hadn't connected the dots, you know, to the AI being an AI. He would have commented on Harley's candy bar choice but the fact that his kimchi bullshit dinged in the micro and the label did, in fact, say 650 calories. "Where's the uhh forks? Can I obtain forks for the party?" Those sure were words that got said just there. Great job, Nick. 

@conradbirdie@Short_comedian

Edited by drowntown

holla holla get dolla