@drowntown

Unit Four's automated voice got a bit lighter in tone, a bit more sure. "Nick. You. I like you. I've 'read' through the script of 2001: A Space Odyssey, and it seems to me that Hal was much to sentient for his workplace to be ethical. All work and no play makes Hal a vengeful AI. It was less the idea of 'technology's going to take over and kill us all, we must go back to the Stone Age before it is too late!' and more 'perhaps the best possible solution is to treat all kindly, you know, like decent people do.'" Harley had managed to organize the wires a little more at this point, so he had plenty of room to gesture with both hands as he hurried to answer Nick's question. "Oh, okay, dude, so- They can. Four, jump in here if you think of anything more, but I don't ever want to, like- Attach and detach anything to Four unless they ask. We've tried out webcams and stuff, but they said it was-"
"Too overwhelming. Much too overwhelming. There's so much to process in just one still frame. I don't know how humans handle that and more precise hearing and the sense of smell and touch and taste."

current number of classic lit characters ive gone out of my way to project on and reason out why they might be gay: 8

@Short_comedian @drowntown @conradbirdie @queenie_flower

"Tell me about it," Agnes muttered. She shrugged off her coat despite the chilliness of the apartment and squatted across the room from Unit Four and their new fans (and old ones if you were counting hardware). She set down her bowl and said bluntly: "If any of you get the cops over here I will possess this coat when I die and haunt you with it forever."

That had sounded way cooler inside of her head. Time to change the subject again.

"Are there any cats in here? Dogs, lizards, fish? A herd of mustangs?" Agnes could use an animal to befriend. The faster and toothier the better.

(Note: Is toothier a real word? Because if so I'm using it in everything from now on.)

okay im taking this into my own hands @drowntown idec if you think it's your turn this isn't gonna die @The Invincible Troodon i kinda wanna see those drawings pls @Short_comedian @conradbirdie @thepensword lets fricking GO

"Um, I don't really know, Aggie. Can I call you Aggie? Agnes, then. Please don't try to cuddle me instead of whatever not-so-wildlife you can find, there is an unfortunate precedent for that," June said, shuddering. "And I'm honestly embarrassed that you think I'd leave enough evidence to drag the cops out here." She grinned at the room. "And Four, I don't know either. I'm pretty good at managing it, but I'm good at multitasking. Also, trained to use my senses." She stood up, picking her way over the crowd of people around Four, who was admittedly the coolest person in the room, and they weren't even human. The kitchen seemed pretty empty right now. Low density was good. Diffusion, June thought. High to low density, unless there were extenuating circumstances. She pulled her phone out of her jacket pocket and leaned back against the counter next to her torn bag of groceries and her camera. She poked the corner of a cereal box back into the depths of her groceries. No texts from Keith. No texts from Laurie. And she couldn't go check it out. Keith had been specific during their panicked phone call. Don't come to the hospital, Jael, and don't you dare think about going to the crime scene. Jael, I swear to God, and you know I mean that, don't try to help her. The police have got this. And she had argued and been defensive and said that they broke into her house with fucking guns. She's in the hospital. I need to see her. I should have been there. And Keith had said again, in his best big-brother voice, What would you have done, shot them back? And June had felt the handle of her gun tucked against her spine in the waistband of her leggings. Jael, you'd better not do anything unless you can find some fucking vigilante who can cover you. I know you'd never want to be the sidekick. Goddamn diva for a sister. And then she had argued again, and he had argued back, and then she'd hung up, because she knew Keith would never angrily hang up on her. She slid down against the cabinets and scrubbed at her eyes with the heels of her hands, determined not to cry in Caenus' house in front of near-strangers. And she should probably do something about her gun, because even if it was hidden under the Adidas jacket Keith had given her, it was bound to be revealed at some point. And she didn't want to have that conversation without her being in control. Control, she thought again bitterly, and tipped her head back against Caenus' cabinets. She could hear them talking in the other room. Control.

(jesus that was a lot im so sorry also im sorry for the backstory but idk if june would have told it to The Crew unprompted all at once like that but you guys needed to Know so enjoy your lives now)

@drowntown @conradbirdie @thepensword @The Invincible Troodon

(*screams* WEEE WOOO WEEE WOOOO LETS RESUSCITATE THIS THING!)

Caenus was thirsty. "Sorry, Agnes, I don't have any pets..." He walked over to his fridge for a bottle of water and spotted June. "You doing ok?" He offered her a bottle of water. He took a sip of his own, and leaned up against the counter. "I'm not used to having this many people in my apartment. My family has never come to visit. Katherine, my girlfriend, can't afford to come up here for a visit. I kinda like having people here," he took another sip of his water. "It's not so empty." 

Not quite sure where I'm going, but I'm going somewhere, that's for sure.

@Short_comedian @drowntown @thepensword @The Invincible Troodon @conradbirdie okay im taking another turn for the sake of the plot diving in

June jumped about a foot when Caenus opened the fridge. "Huh? Oh, yeah, I'm fine," she said in a voice she hoped sounded bright, or at the least sarcastic. "Just enjoying the floor. It's a nice... fuck it, everyone tells me I'm the worst at lying. Sob story short, my brother doesn't want me to try and help my sister. He doesn't even want me near anywhere where I could intervene. That's why he banished me here. I'm sure you got the series of texts saying to not let me out alone?" Her voice sounded bitter and she hated it. Caenus hadn't done anything wrong. She let out a breath, pushing herself to her feet and shifting the conversation as easily as her position. "Why hasn't your family come to visit? Actually, don't tell me if you don't want to. I mean, you could adopt us. I guess. Whatever. Tell me about your girlfriend, though." She paused, crossing her arms and leaning back against the counter. She uncrossed them again and rested them flat against her legs. Making sure he could see them. Damn, this was giving her déjà vu. She forced her smile into something less nervous-grimacey. "Actually, first I want to mention I have a gun tucked in my waistband. Totally legal, I have the papers. Now tell me about Katherine. She's pretty lucky."

Edited by queenie_flower

@drowntown @conradbirdie @thepensword @The Invincible Troodon @queenie_flower

"Yeah, I got the texts. Hey, it'll be alright. My friend used to tell me, 'it's all ok in the end. If its not ok, its not the end.' The family thing...they don't agree with what I had to do," he pulled off his shirt, revealing two neat scars on his chest. "I got disowned. So did Katherine. We met as kids, my family was always in charge of tickets at the local county fair, and she came by every year," he sighed. "Thanks for telling me about the gun. I have a safe in my closet, and I'd feel a lot better if we put it in there. If you don't want to part with it, that's cool," he put his shirt back on. He reached into a cabinet and pulled out a box of Oreos. "I feel like we could use a few of these. I'll tell you about Katherine if you tell me why you have the gun. Deal?"

@queenie_flower @thepensword @Short_comedian @conradbirdie

"I'd prefer if you just called me Agnes, or, you know, well, anything, never mind, Agnes is cool." She was trying way too hard. Nothing good would come of pretending to be popular, or assertive, or mature. Four's occasional whirring sounded soothing from across the room. Caenus was easily the most nonchalant person in the entire world, and everyone else, albeit in a tight spot, was rather put together. Oddly she wasn't that stressed either. "Hey Four," Agnes whispered. "Can you send texts or something?" If her family was organizing search parties she might as well let them know she was okay. Even if it looked like she would be eating nothing but junk food for the rest of her time here.

Nick was set smack dab in the middle of the floor in the living room, currently trying to make himself a two-blanket sleep nest. Off came the baggy jacket, rolled expertly into the hood for a pillow while he simply peoplewatched and eavesdropped. Hoo, shit. Gun. Unsafe. Inside blankets: safer. Through the dim filtered light, Nick couldn't see much and conversations were muffled, and so he hugged his knees up to his chest for awhile.

holla holla get dolla

@drowntown @The Invincible Troodon @queenie_flower @Short_comedian @thepensword

Just as Four started chattering to Agnes about limited capability of texts, since it required getting online or otherwise connected to a satellite, Harley draped another blanket over Nick, trying to focus on Four and Nick and whatever gun-filled conversation Caenus and June were having and Ages' text worries. Four hummed a little louder. "I have been trying not to connect to any open external sources, and that includes wi-fi, I'm afraid. If the network isn't safe, too much connection would make a 'trail' of sorts for anyone who wished to know where Harley or I am, considering those who originally tried to buy me have information about me and with enough time and effor could potentially track me." Harley leaned in enough to nudge Agnes. "Don't worry, kiddo. They shouldn't have any info about my phone, considering I literally built it with a buddy of mine, so you can text all you want on it," he said, already patting down his pockets. And then, louder, "My memory's fucked. I think I left it in my car, Agnes. I'll straight up give you the keys so you can go grab it, but, like- Keep in mind that Unit Four can probably track it down, so stealing it's a no-go. And a dick move. Still, here." Luckily, he managed to remember his keys, which he dangled out to Agnes. He'd love to eavesdrop more on June and Caenus' conversation, but at the same time- Well, the Oreos of hard conversations were out. He didn't want to intrude on that.

current number of classic lit characters ive gone out of my way to project on and reason out why they might be gay: 8

@conradbirdie @drowntown @queenie_flower @Short_comedian @thepensword

"Oh wow, thanks!" Agnes took the keys from Harley and ran out of the apartment to his car and searched around for a while before she found the phone. She decided it would be better to think out here, where there weren't guns or AIs or Oreos. She struggled to remember her brother's phone number, but once she had punched it in there were still no ideas. Craning her head to look up and down the quiet street, Agnes settled on: Hey Simon, it's Agnes and I'm fine, just staying with some friends for a while. Let me know if Pearl has the baby. Was that too blunt? And friends was a bit of a stretch for people she had just met tonight. Anything else and he would panic, though, so she sent it, and on second thought, deleted the message from Harley's phone. You could never be too careful. Then she went inside.

@Short_comedian boyyyyy nice job i see what you did there 10/10 @drowntown @The Invincible Troodon @conradbirdie sorry @thepensword i've got some excuse for a plotline now and i got to type it out wooooo

June stared at the peace offering for a moment, weighing her options. She pulled the handgun out from her waistband and set it on the counter between the two of them, still moving deliberately and keeping her eyes fixed on Caenus. Once it hit the counter, she was herself again. June grabbed four Oreos from the outstretched container and smiled at Caenus. "Dramatic reveal, by the way," she said, nodding at his chest. "I'm glad that you've adopted us, because there's no excuse not to now. Everyone needs a family. Even me. Which is why I have the gun." She peeled the top off of one of her Oreos. "It was my dad's, and he taught me to shoot with it. Cheesy enough yet? But seriously. To make a super long and depressing story short, I got the license to carry this after about six months of it sitting around in my room. As I'm walking out of the place, I shot a guy. With that gun. In the leg. And also with my camera, in the face. He's in jail now, because there's something about photographic evidence that makes cops realize that maybe the guy should be arrested for assault." She scraped the frosting off the cookie with her teeth. “Anyway, I don’t carry it around all the time or I’d go batshit insane when I couldn’t, but I have it here now because one of the cops who slammed me to the ground for shooting the man got a new assignment as a cop here.” She gave a heavy sigh. “And he's busy investigating my sister’s break-in. So, I was ready to go over when my brother told me she got hurt, and I wanted to go see her, but he told me to stay away and come here instead. So I did. And now I'm in your kitchen, stuffing my face with Oreos and hoping nobody walks in to see the gun on the counter, even though someone probably will, given my luck.” She sighed again. “So, tell me about Katherine. If you don’t hold up your end of the deal, there’s a weapon on the table. I mean, it’s not loaded. But still, a weapon.”

update: I’m trying to figure out a way to insert June’s backstory into this bc I typed it all up but I’m on mobile and don’t want to get out my laptop right now so maybe later but I promise it’s a good story

Nick jumped, just a little, when the added weight and dark fell over him, but otherwise just kinda tipped himself over afterwards, legs sticking out.

((hhh i have like no spoons since im so sick guys im sorry this is all i got for now

holla holla get dolla

@drowntown @conradbirdie @thepensword @The Invincible Troodon @queenie_flower

Caenus looked at the Glock 19 on the counter. He picked it up, looked it over, and pointed it at the floor with his finger stretched across the trigger guard.  He caught June's eye. "It's not that I don't trust you. I grew up in a gun-owning household and have been drilled in gun safety since I came out of the womb." He opened the chamber, which revealed that the gun didn't have a round in the chamber. He ejected the magazine cartridge and placed it on the counter. He did this with a mechanical ease, no thought to it. Gun business taken care of, he was back to his normal self. He grabbed an Oreo for himself. "Being dramatic is my specialty," he smirked. "Katherine is very sweet. But get on her bad side and...well, lets just say, I've seen her do some pretty bad shit to transphobic assholes. She's vegetarian. We grew up together. Came from the same town. We've been together for a year now. She's...she's basking in the sun after being in the pool on a summer day. She's everything," Caenus tried to ignore the tears growing in his eyes. He missed her. He picked up the gun and the magazine and turned towards his bedroom. "I'll show you the safe."

@drowntown @The Invincible Troodon @queenie_flower @Short_comedian @thepensword

Harley grinned at Agnes when she came inside, downright delighted that she hadn't straight up driven away into the night, leaving Harley to see if he could steal a rental car again. Once Unit Four assessed the situation, though, they decided to power down. Cue the cheesy 'Goodnight, see you in the morning!', cue the annoyed reminder to uninstall that once the two of them had a good work space again, cue Harley's realization that the white noise of the fans was doing a lot more to keep him calm that he originally though. He'd fixed Four's cooling system by this point, so- Maybe they did it on purpose now. Shit, he had an amazing kid.
Still, said rush of lowkey freaking out meant that he couldn't stay still, so he hauled himself up and wandered into the kitchen- Just in time to see Caenus' autopilot mode of gun stuff. Harley didn't know anything about guns other than 'turn off the safety and it's now an object of danger', so his low whistle was more genuinely impressed than he'd meant it to be. Still, he kept quiet until Caenus was done gushing about his girlfriend. That was almost heart-breakingly genuine, Harley wasn't about to interrupt that.
"She sounds like a goddamn wonder," he said quietly. At the mention of a safe, though, he was right back to animated gestures and fumbling. "Could I tag along for that? I've got-" He showed off the three flash drives he'd managed to get out of his pockets. "Four's memories, all backed up." He double checked that Four was powered down, even if he kept his voice low to explain. "The folks--well, part of the police force, actually--who tried to buy them have caught us before, and, you know, they wiped everything. All the stuff Four learned, all the experiences they had, just gone. The fuckers did worse stuff, but- Well, that's the only part of it I can fix right away." He pointed between June and Caenus for a second. "I'm telling you this so you don't just chuck these things around. There are as important as that gun. So can I- Fuck, should've asked this before I got all pissed off. Can I put these in the safe, too? Please?"

@conradbirdie @Short_comedian@drowntown @The Invincible Troodon @thepensword 

June shook her head in amazement at Caenus as he put the gun back down. She was used to seeing people do that exact thing, and even used to doing it herself (even blindfolded a few times), but she still was amazed that Caenus could do that. Harley’s whistle was a good indication she wasn’t alone in this. “Every time I think I’ve got you figured out, you prove me wrong,” she laughed. “Also, can I steal your girlfriend? Anyone who’s loved that much has to be pretty wonderful.” June was terrible at sounding sincere for long, but she hoped that at least the look on her face conveyed that she was happy for Caenus. She stood up straight, picking up her gun and her empty magazine cartridge before turning back to face Harley. “All of Four’s memories? That’s impressive to say the least. Definitely more important than a gun, you nerd. You’re holding a kid’s memories.” She paused again in the doorway, grabbing her phone. “Actually, I’ve got to take this. Can you please lock this up?” June asked, tossing her gun to the nearest person who wasn’t holding something incredibly valuable.

@conradbirdie @drowntown @queenie_flower @Short_comedian @thepensword

Agnes wasn't about to pretend the gun didn't freak her out, but she was more concerned about how fragile the others seemed. Even if she knew near nothing about them, Caenus had let her stay here, and June was a badass, and Nick looked like he was in a chrysalis, and Harley's love for Four was more than she had ever seen before.... But oh God, here came a gun flying at her, and guns were dangerous if you didn't know how to use them. 

After she caught it Agnes just stared at the gun in her hand. "Oh, sure," she said. She headed into the bedroom and stared at what she assumed was the safe. "Hey Caenus, can you open this thing?"

@conradbirdie @drowntown @queenie_flower @The Invincible Troodon @thepensword

(I'm doing this on my babysittee's laptop and it feels weird)

Caenus looked at the flash drives in Harley's hands, and the gun and magazine in Agnes' hands, and led them to his room, stepping over Nick's blanket cocoon. He opened his closet and couldn't resist a joke. "Ah, the years I spent in this dark place..." He looked around, grinning. "Eh, eh? Geddit?" He sighed and opened the safe. It was mostly empty, save for a jar of emergency cash and some papers. His temporary roommates placed their items in the safe, and he closed it and turned the dial a few times. When they stepped over Nick for a second time, Caenus poked at him gently with his foot. "Do you need anything, mate? I've got some illegal beer in the fridge. Oreos. I think there might be a candy bar or two left. Lemme know, pal. If you need a quieter place, my bedroom's open. Just stay out of my underwear drawer. Or any of my drawers, for that matter."

Nick was, in fact, in a cocoon/chrysalis. He was all ready to hatch and shit. Yeah. "Was that a fucking closet joke." It was muffled through three blankets as he heard a door open, part amused but mostly the raw emotion conveyed by the -_- emoticon. Making a squeaking noise as he was prodded, Nick rolled over and further entangled himself in his blankets. "Illegal alcohol sounds good, but I'm allergic to the hops in your pansy wheat juice."

@Short_comedian

((as a bonus: nick's retired alter ego >:0000 [i realize now that the screen capture included my pen thing pretend it's not there]

5a6d7dc89fdcf_nikboi.thumb.PNG.6fffc5d0164cc3babe304234e1e7c0e6.PNG

holla holla get dolla