@drowntown

"Ah, sorry, the only alcohol I have is beer, mate. Anything else I can do for you? Another blanket?" Caenus sat down next to Nick.

Not quite sure where I'm going, but I'm going somewhere, that's for sure.

Nick made a noise akin to a disgruntled cat, wiggling on the ground to curl up further before probably accidentally bumping into Caenus with a spare limb or his forehead. "Oh, hello. Uh. You did say two blankets each, though. I'm breaking the rules already, buddy boy."

@Short_comedian

holla holla get dolla

June was walking away already, phone pressed to her ear and fumbling Caenus' doorknob with her other hand. "Hey, Keith. How's--" She didn't even get to finish her sentence. Keith's panic washed her words away from the phone and back down into her throat. She swallowed, pulling the door closed behind her. The hallway was empty. "Keith, slow down. I-- Keith, I'm fine." She let out a breath. "I'm nowhere near anywhere that could get me into trouble. I'm at Caenus' house. Your support group buddy? You told me to come here?" June crossed her arm flat over her chest, clenching her fingers around her opposite forearm. "Yeah. I know. You told me that it was an armed robbery. What would Laurie even have that would justify that? Keith, not everyone wants that. Not worth bringing a gun in. Oh, shut up." She paused again, choking back a laugh she was sure would come out watery. She needed to not be watery. These walls were thin. "No, I haven't hurt anyone. I mean, I nearly hit someone with a door, but he's fine. Lighting reflexes, that boy." She listened for a moment. She was sure that everyone could hear Keith's laughter, muffled and distorted through the phone. "Keith, I can make friends. I can totally make friends. That's not an accurate statement. What about your boyfriend? He's the one that can't make friends," she teased. It felt good to have him laughing again. "Why are you calling me? You hate phone calls. Oh. Okay. Well, Keith, go back to Laurie. They have suspects? really? Keith, I'm not going to do that. No, I haven't made progress on finding a backup.... Keith? Keith. I'll call you back." She hesitated for a moment, eyes flickering back to the door. "Yeah. I'm fine. Love you too. Bye." She hung up first again, then swung the door back open. It rattled on its hinges as it hit the wall. "Nick. You got any vigilante friends?"

@drowntown @Short_comedian @conradbirdie @The Invincible Troodon @thepensword

Edited by queenie_flower
the TAGS

Nick startled at the sudden noise, jumping beneath his several blankets. "Uhhhhhh, no. Kinda....kinda the point of being a vigilante is identity secrecy?? Like. I can teach you some self-defense. If that's what you want. Or how to hand-sew a sick outfit. That's uhhhh about all I got, kiddo." He pulled the blankets off his head, hair ruffled and sticking out every which way as he eyes found June by the door.

@queenie_flower

holla holla get dolla

Oh yes we’re reviving this thing we missed you son let’s GO

June paused for a moment, hand still holding the door open as it meekly bounced back from the intensity it had hit the wall with. “I’m going to let it slide that you basically just admitted you were a vigilante because I knew that already but that’s exactly what I needed. Not a costume. Just a vigilante. I need some help,” she said, walking across the room to squat in front of Nick’s blanket cocoon. “I need a sidekick. I’d be willing to be partners, because you’re about as professional as I’ve got. I’ll work on some way to repay you if you agree.” She glanced up at Caenus, or at least the direction where she’d last seen him go. “Hey, Mr. Cool Host, cover your ears for that deniability you requested!” 

@drowntown @Short_comedian @The Invincible Troodon @conradbirdie

Caenus shook his head, grabbing the Claymore off the wall. "I'm coming with," he said, pulling his sword belt through the loops of his jeans. He grabbed a backpack out of his closet and headed towards the door. "Don't burn down the apartment, ok?" he said to whoever was listening. @drowntown @The Invincible Troodon @conradbirdie @queenie_flower

@drowntown @The Invincible Troodon @queenie_flower @Short_comedian 

((oof, second sorry about not replying in so long!)

"That poor fucking door," Harley remarked, entirely to himself. Still, he didn't spend any more time fussing with exactly how to place the flash drives to keep them as safe as possible in favor of heading back out to the living room, hands up in a mock gesture of surrender. "Whoa there, cowboy. I'll help if I can, but I need a few quick details. Like- Do you need to take my phone to keep in touch? Do you need my entire fuckin' car or something? I'd say 'bring it back without a scratch' but it was already beat up when I stole it, so- Just bring it back, if you're taking it. And consider the apartment not burned down."

current number of classic lit characters ive gone out of my way to project on and reason out why they might be gay: 8

June grinned at everyone. “Aw, this is going to be great. I’ve got my own phone, Harls, but your number would be great. Not hitting on you, just trying to stay in touch. Your car would be fabulous, if you don’t mind. I’ll promise you it won’t be totalled, and I’ll totally bring it back.” She paused, looking over at Caenus. “This totally invalidates the liability clause, by the way. Just so we’re clear. Now,” she said, clapping her hands together for effect, “who wants to go illegally investigate a crime scene? I’m bringing my camera! Agnes, Harley, you wanna come with? We might also beat up a cop, but only if he provokes me enough for it to be legal.”

@conradbirdie @drowntown @Short_comedian @The Invincible Troodon

Edited by queenie_flower

"Ohhhh my god. You-" Nick sighs, pinching the bridge of his nose at the comment about his vigilanteism. "Whatever. Okay. Yeah, yeah. This is fine. Dandy." He looked up, more than a little appalled at the number of people (read: what the fuck even mr. don't-get-me-in-legal-trouble was suiting up, jesus) willing to get this show on the road. "Y'all....y'all realize that like...three's a crowd? G'luck being sneaky? Like?" Sighing hard again, Nick fished his car keys out of his pocket. "I am driving my own getaway car, one. I am also not going anywhere without blocking up like a motherfucker, two. So like. I gotta grab my mask and workin' hoodie before I go anywhere there could be cameras, you feel? And, on that train of thought, I gotta swap plates real fast. Yeah." Hopping up, Nick made for the door, eyeing Caenus' sword warily. "And when I get back," he added over his shoulder, "I'm teaching you some self defense. Cops are trickier than you think."

holla holla get dolla

Harley did a mini fist pump, already grabbing his keys again. "Sweet. No hetero, June. Phone's in the car, I can just walk y'all down, unlock the whole thing for you. I'll hook up our phones so I can, like, yell info at y'all. Which'll literally just be me pulling up fuckin' Google Maps and being a backseat driver about it. So, I mean, enjoy." He double and triple checked Unit Four's fans, waving absentmindedly at Nick all the while. "It's chill, it's chill, man. Wasn't planning on making it four by coming along, there's no way in hell I'm leaving Four by themself for that long. Wait, fuck-" He looked up at the group, making a face. "Can one of y'all swing by, like 7-11 while you're out? I need to rewire one of Unit Four's speakers. 14 gauge wire. I'll pay you back double or something. Plus I'm giving you guys my car, so..." Still, he was already making for the front door. Even though this would be one hell of a dumb way to get caught if he got traced back. Harley was kinda all about dumb.

current number of classic lit characters ive gone out of my way to project on and reason out why they might be gay: 8

"Gotcha, Har. 14 gauge wire," Caenus grabbed a pen and scribbled the item on his arm. As Nick was leaving, he shouted "I'm just here for back up. Might get myself arrested but my theatre job gives me access to numerous costumes and props we can use for disguises. Also, I'm friends with a local cop. He saved my life once," he sub-consciously brushed his hand near his collar bone. He looked at June. "I know you don't trust them. But this guy is good, I swear. When I say he saved my life I mean it literally."

@queenie_flower @conradbirdie @drowntown @The Invincible Troodon

June grinned at Caenus. "Welcome to the dark side, Caenus, hope you enjoy your stay!" She then whipped around to call after Nick: "Don't worry, Emo Spidey! You can drive your own car!" She turned back to the room and in a voice that was slightly quieter said, "I don't have his number either. Can someone hook me up with that so we can like, communicate? Dude split up the damn operation. We were a well-oiled machine. Also, a disguise would be nice. Even just a hat and five minutes for me to do some intense makeup. I'm gonna grab my camera, and then you're going to tell me your cop story. I know some cops are good cops, for the record. It's just the bad cops that make it hard. When you can't tell is what gets me. Anyway, story time!"

"Emo Spidey," Nick scoffed good-naturedly and mostly to himself as the door fell shut behind him, cold night air hitting him like a freight train to the chest. Hurrying out to his dinky car, he swapped his hoodie for his heavier, more nondescript one out of his trunk. Holding it at arm's length away from himself by the shoulders, Nick exhaled in something like resignation before finally sticking his arms in it and pulling it on, hood up. Forgoing the tarfeather-emblazoned sweatpants he'd silkscreened himself and instead figuring the black jeans were good enough, Nick stuck his mask on his face and locked his car before trooping back up the steps to Caenus' apartment, rolling his shoulders and clicking the vertebra in his neck back into place. There was no way this wasn't going to end horribly. "So. Who wants to learn how to throw a man first?"

image.png.7df25b9c20b2aca72716c1b911c2eca3.png

((^^ some sketch i did ages ago :0

@Short_comedian@conradbirdie@queenie_flower

holla holla get dolla

Caenus sighed. "I was shot by a transphobic person who followed on my way home.  Ray was off duty when he saw the guy following me and when he heard a gun shot he came running. He tackled the guy as he was running away, put him in cuffs and then called for an ambulance. He literally stuck his finger in the wound to stop the bleeding while we waited. The bullet missed my heart by a few inches. We've been friends ever since. Nothing like a near-death experience to bring two people together, am I right?" he chuckled darkly. He didn't mention the nightmares. He didn't mention the way he wakes up in a cold sweat every night. He didn't tell them about how scared he was to hold June's gun. His guests didn't need to know that. He texted the owner of the small theater he worked at, asking if he could borrow some costume pieces.

When Nick came back in, loudly asking who wanted to learn how to throw people, Caenus took his sword belt off and grinned. "I do! I specialize in stage combat and stage managing, so it'd be great to learn some new stuff!"

@drowntown @queenie_flower @The Invincible Troodon @conradbirdie

Edited by Short_comedian

Harley was busy scribbling his number on a scrap of paper to hand to June, but that didn't stop him from trying to pay attention to everything happening at once. That mostly consisted at wincing a lot at Caenus' story and squeezing his shoulder in an attempt to show sympathy without being all overbearing about it. "Oof. That's a good dude. I can give you my shitty makeshift bullet-ish-proof vest, but it's no good for stab wounds. So, like- You're not allowed to get stabbed." Harley looked back and forth between the door and Unit Four, squinting a little, focusing all of his attention on how to best help out this renegade cause without sacrificing his own mission. And, of course, the focus helped keep him present and not wrapped up in a panicky 'time to vividly relive the time you got stabbed' spiral. He was glad to burst into astonished laughter at Nick's offer and Caenus' theater nerd response. "I don't know jack shit about stage combat, but I call next!"

@conradbirdie @drowntown @The Invincible Troodon @Short_comedian

Caenus' story was terrible. It was a good story, with a happy ending, it just put a terrible feeling in her stomach. She wondered if Caenus could tell she'd heard this story before. She kept her nausea off her face and followed Harley's lead, attempting to awkwardly pat Caenus on the shoulder, even if she had to reach up a bit to do that. She recognized the fear that was in his eyes, even if it was only there for a second.  Then what Harley had said really sunk in. "Are you forbidding him from getting stabbed? I don't know if... never mind. None of you are allowed to get maimed today because of me." She shook her head with a sigh, cracking her knuckles in a practiced motion. "I mean, I was ready to head out, but I'd be happy to learn how to properly fuck someone up from a dude with semi-professional experience. I'm pretty good at falling though. You need a demonstratee, Nick?"

((yo i know how to do fencing for the stage but not real life, so same hat @Short_comedian sdkjgkdjfsjfds

"Y'all enthusiastic, I guess. Okay, June, y'wanna fall on blankets or are you good enough at falling to do it just on the floor here? Basically, I need you to put me in a C-clasp headlock from behind so I can flip you. Well, not exactly flip you, but close enough." Nick shrugged, shaking out his hands before demonstrating with a nonexistent foe before June could step to volunteer. "Basically," he started, air-grabbing the bicep of the invisible attacker, "you gotta step according to which side their hands are clamped together. Grab the bicep, put one foot out behind you and inside their stance to trip them, twist your hips, and aim your momentum down." He attempted to do this as slowly as possible, before spinning around and putting his hands up in a box block. "The automatic instinct to put one's hands down to break the fall will get you out of the headlock. Never let your guard down. Even if you're tiny, leverage can save your god damn life." Demonstration over, Nick let his hands drop. "It's not much, but it's something, I guess."

((my self defense class is teaching this shit so i have a l o t of material but for expediency we'll just pretend that...flipping people is all a vigilante needs sdgjdklfjsd
@queenie_flower@conradbirdie

holla holla get dolla