@conradbirdie @thepensword @drowntown Jesus it was my turn hold up plot I don’t know her also mop is my favorite

Nik knew they were close to Mop’s dorm. Everyone knew where Mop’s dorm was, even if they couldn’t quite place anything else about her. Radish seemed to be lagging behind, but Voss was leading the way with the sort of relaxed surety that comes with knowing the way to somewhere. So Nik kept pace with Voss, trying to get his bearings and get through the maze of pavilions and hallways without knocking over anything. “So, Radish, what’s your dimension like? I mean, don’t answer if you don’t want to. But dimensions are cool.”

@drowntown @queenie_flower @thepensword 

Voss let all of them inside the initial building, that was easy as pie, no huge amounts of magic there. Getting up to his own dorm was a bit of a walk, sure, but Voss was more worried about waking someone up by mistake. Not because it would be too hard to explain, even if the topics of the conversation were finger-crunching and dimension-describing, but just because Voss would feel mega guilty about disturbing someone's sleep. "Let's keep it down, okay, everyone? We're at about a seven right now and we need to bring it down to a one. I second Nik's question, though, that sounds interesting as long as you're comfortable answering it, Radish."

current number of classic lit characters ive gone out of my way to project on and reason out why they might be gay: 8

Rad considered making some ungodly gnashing noises at Voss' noise check, but decided against it because ok maybe they weren't completely terrible, but also they were rather concerned about the vast amounts of magic they were picking up on. It was like a ley line had curled itself up in the building, and they didn't like it, so they dropped their voice to a murmur. "It's pretty cool, I guess. Whatever y'all did pullin' me out has done a right bangup job of scramblin' whatever infodump got deposited straight into my brain, and now there's like? Gender? Hell? McDonald's? Fuckin' whack concepts I can't quite get so. Thanks. Whatever dimension this is is pretty damn confusing. But uh, back to the concept of Hell? Which is...new? I get Hell's s'posed t'be this...bad thing, ok, but. It's hot. And red. An' that's 'bout it, yeah? Big leader entity. Which is basically home, so?"

@conradbirdie@thepensword@queenie_flower

((bonus:

rad again.PNG

Edited by drowntown
the damn user tags

holla holla get dolla

There was a big wad of demonic energy in the building, and it was coming closer by the moment. Mop frowned in concentration and reached out towards it, trying to determine what it was and whether or not it was alone. A moment later her frown deepened; it was not, in fact, alone. It was being accompanied by two presences that she recognized as her very own neighbors.

"Goddamn idiots," murmured Mop, and headed towards the presence. She stopped a ways before it would reach her and leaned against the wall, arms crossed. God, college students were so stupid. Why was she taking residence at a college, again? Why couldn't she have just picked somewhere reasonable, like Antartica?

"That's right," she said aloud. "I hate the cold, and penguins don't bring you tea. And anywhere else, I'd be out of a job."

Calling her existence as a cryptid a 'job' was questionable but fuck it, Mop could do whatever she wanted. If she wanted to call herself a professional cryptid, she would call herself a professional cryptid. Who was going to stop her?

@conradbirdie @drowntown @queenie_flower

@conradbirdie @thepensword @drowntown

Nik looked around the hallway again, even though they were alone in it. What were the odds that he lived on this floor of this dorm, too? He fiddled with the zipper on his jacket and shifted the pile of books he was holding. “I think that’s my room right down there,” he said, to break the silence that had settled if for nothing else. “With the weirdly dented doorknob. If we can’t get in here, my roommate sleeps like the dead, if they even sleep here.” It wasn’t a great second option, but Nik was sure it was better than hiding in the woods somewhere and trying to reverse a summoning spell to send a demon back to its home dimension; hell. It would be better to do it in a room. And maybe they should show Radish what McDonalds was. At least something would be cleared up before they sent them home.

((sorry for the wait, y'all!! just when i thought i was in the clear of having writing time, i got sick rip)

Voss was currently trying to decide if he should turn to fully worrying (and thus, insisting on calling everything and everyone 'dude', or 'man', and insist that the group 'just chillax', or 'take a breather, just for a sec') or just address each topic of conversation and cross the worrying bridge once they came to it. At least the second option kept him relaxed for longer. "The best part is when you can combine everything," he mentioned to Radish. He'd really have to ask about the vegetable connotations of that name sometime later. "Gender iss hell, so let's go to McDonald's. Nik, you know you're a gift, right? It's so good to have a plan B here. Especially if-" He turned the corner with the group and- Immediately spotted a displeased looking Mop. On one hand, fuck. But on the other, fuck. So he grinned, obviously. "Hey, Mop! Good to see you out and about. This poor soul got essentially kidnapped by the drama club to test out their makeup abilities, but I remembered I still had some makeup removal charms that my ex left? It's going to be a makeup removal party." This was the dumbest lie he'd ever thought of.

current number of classic lit characters ive gone out of my way to project on and reason out why they might be gay: 8

Mop blinked slowly. It was her best, most-intimidating slow blink. She'd learned it from her cat and she'd been informed it was frightening and unnatural enough to send chills down the backs of even the bravest humans. (She'd tested it on viking warriors, a long time ago, and they'd been sent running in fright, but clearly viking warriors had nothing on college students because most of those just ended up looking vaguely uncomfortable.) "Voss Schulz," she said slowly, drawing out the vowels and rolling her tongue on the consonants. "Do you think I'm stupid?" She pointed an aggressive finger at the thing standing between him and Nikolai Helge and lowered her eyebrows deliberately. "What is that and what exactly have you done now?"

@conradbirdie @queenie_flower @drowntown

Nik has assumed his utterly panicked-looking grin wasn’t helping anything, so he wiped it off his face just in time for Voss to say “makeup removal party.” And then Mop was there. The famous (or infamous, depending on who you asked) Mop. If he had known Mop had lived down his hallway, he’d have been way more excited to move in. In any case, she was giving them some weird and unsettling glare that made Nik’s insides flop a little bit. He let out a laugh he would readily admit sounded appropriately nervous. “We don’t think you’re stupid, Mop. Just maybe not as all-knowing as you’re rumored to be. And um, Rad here could pass as a student kidnapped by the drama department.” Facing the threat of an awkward silence and probably the wrath of Mop’s cat, he babbled on. “We don’t really know either, to be honest. We should all go and talk about it. Maybe we should go to McDonalds. They probably don’t care what we say. They’re all minimum wage employees. They’ve heard some shit. Then we can come back and fix this,” he said, taking a breath. 

@thepensword @conradbirdie @drowntown

Hmm. Fuck. Yeah, this person was definitely not Voss' wards. Radish just kinda.......hung back, but dared to slow blink right the fuck back at this semi-hostile entity. "Pretty sweet prop fabricatin', yeah?" They flicked a curved nail at one horn, halfway unsure if the group was still keeping up the kidnapped by theater kids ruse here or if the jig was decidedly up. Rad actually kinda wondered if Mop could see straight through their glamour, which altered the bigger of their bigass fuckin' teeth, shrunk their ears, and gave them semi-regular eye coloration. You know, semi-regular, as in having a pupil or iris at all. Awkwardly half-hiding their focus behind their back (which. The staff was a good foot taller than them), Rad shrugged. "McD's sounds fuckin' dandy. Scare some a them...minimum wage employees." Capitalism: a concept. Weird. "...And then we can come on back fer those makeup removin' shit. Y'ever get them midnight snackin' hankerings? Best part a... college. The snackin'. Gonna get me a...big mac. Ffffries. Maybe even a.. subway." That sounded right. Mostly. Probably. Food names. Those. Radish, stop fucking talking, jesus.

@conradbirdie@queenie_flower@thepensword

holla holla get dolla

“I hope you realize,” said Mop coolly. “That you’re not fooling anyone.” She took a single step forward, deliberately sizing it so the she would come across as threatening, but not enough so as to spark an attack. “I am not falling for any part  of this ridiculous story you three have concocted. That said,” and here she paused for dramatic effect, “I don’t particularly like you here in my dorm, so yes, fine, let’s go to McDonalds.” Her lip curled slightly at the thought of the place, but McDonalds at least served as a worldwide sanctuary, neutral territory for meeting supernatural beings. It was better than Arby’s, anyway; she’d been banned a long time ago and the chain’s wards were surprisingly strong. “But I am watching you, creature. Don’t try any tricks, understand?”

@drowntown @queenie_flower @conradbirdie

Voss was more than a little panicky, but in equal weight, he was just plain miffed. Who was Mop to mess with their little group when they were doing absolutely nothing wrong? Yeah, sure, they had a demon with them, but who didn't these days? Probably everyone. But that wasn't the point. Voss was stuck between wanting to tell off a woman a good bit older than him or just kind of stepping back behind Radish to hide. That wouldn't have been the best cover, though- Trying to hide behind someone almost a full foot shorter than him and, you know, the exact target of Mop's affront. "Let's all take a breather, how about that, huh?" they suggested. That phrase was bound to come out at some point. "McDonald's sounds great. My treat, okay? I think everyone will be a little more calm once their blood sugar's up." That attempt at easing the situation didn't stop Voss from standing up a little straighter, almost reaching out to pull Radish back a step- But hey, probably better not to drag a demon backwards when they were already on edge and hungry for some finger munchin'. "They're not a creature. They're Radish. That's, uh- Their name. Not the vegetable. It took me a second too, no worries. But I've just got this hint of a feeling everyone's going to be a little more easygoing if we all talk nice, okay?"

"Wait, Mop's coming????? Yer just gonna let this decidedly hostile person, named after cleaning equipment, which is worse than being named after a vegetable, to set things straight, come with us????" Radish was pitching towards shrieky, pulling their focus in front of themself to stand defensively as their glamour wavered for the slightest second. "I am not a fucking creature, and nor am I without honor. You gotta fuckin' problem? You familiar with praecepta bellator? Yer edging very fucking close to qualifyin' for a duel, Mop." They vaguely heard Voss' offer for McD's, but making sure this person stayed well off their tail was top priority. "We're beyond talkin' nice, human. This one," they pointed a claw at Mop, "insulted me. Them's fightin' words."

@conradbirdie@queenie_flower@thepensword

holla holla get dolla

@conradbirdie @thepensword @drowntown okay first of all this is *gold* right here:

18 hours ago, conradbirdie said:

Yeah, sure, they had a demon with them, but who didn't these days? Probably everyone.

Instead of shrinking back behind Voss' shoulders, which were broader than his and naturally the best place to hide behind, Nik stepped halfway in front of Rad, who was definitely more hostile than Mop. Not that Nik would be able to admit that and survive their combined wrath, but it was something to take into consideration. Nik looked over at Mop. "I mean, it's the hallway. We're not in your dorm, that'd be weird. We were just trying to get to Voss'." This was going great. So great. He could almost picture how Rad's teeth would sink into his hand. It was already practically in their face. This probably wouldn't end well, but at least Nik had the promise of free food. "And I can pay for McDonald's. Um, my aunt gives me gift cards for McDonald's because she gets them free. I have like 50 bucks worth of them. All the fries you could want." He forced a smile, looking around at the group. That was diplomatic, right? McDonald's itself was neutral territory, with sketchy-low wards to boot. Nik looked at Radish, trying not to loom over them too much, or act like he was restraining them. Not what anyone needed. "Um, Mop knows a lot about stuff. She can help us. And, um, Mop is a very... it's a name, too. Lots of people are named after inanimate objects. Like, I had a friend in fourth grade named Looseleaf." Looseleaf was great. They were born in fall. When the leaves became... well, loose. They had a brother who was supposed to be named July, but he was born two days late, so his parents decided to name him August. Very risky. "Radish," Nik said, hoping the shiver he felt was just from nerves and not from invoking something, "Can we talk this out? We don't hear of Mop trusting... anyone, really, so she's not insulting you specifically. She also probably didn't want to mis-species you, and just used creature as a general word. We're creatures, too. Please, just don't duel. We've got rules about noise and stuff. And vandalism." He sent a desperate look to Mop that he hoped conveyed please just be civil and help us out, and please just go along and don't call me out if i'm wrong, we need this to work

Mop frowned and crossed her arms in front of her chest. This was just unbelievable. She'd held the title of campus cryptid for centuries without a glitch, and now some obscure demon thought they could challenge her? She didn't think so. "The  whole building is my dorm," she said curtly, graciously ignoring the jab about her name (she'd chosen it a long time ago, thinking it had a certain air of abnormality to it without being particularly attention grabbing that she'd found rather fitting. She liked her name, thank you very much, and she wasn't going to put in the effort to defend it against someone named after a vegetable.) "This campus is my territory. And I don't appreciate being spoken to in such a matter, Radish, especially not on my own turf. I am well within my rights to defend against intruding entities, and so no, I am not throwing down any metaphorical gauntlets like you seem to think." She turned towards Nik and gave him a dignified sort of nod. "I already agreed to this McDonald's trip, didn't I? Before I was so aggressively interrupted."

((((Jesus Mop is pretentious.))))

@queenie_flower @drowntown @conradbirdie

Radish sent Nik the dirtiest look before extremely reluctantly dropping the angle of their shoulders and setting their stance into something less aggressive. "Y'didn't agree to th' McD's trip," they muttered huffily, "you invited yerself along." Obviously still pissed, they let out a long-ass breath and frowned. "Looseleaf? Like tea??" Pinching the bridge of their nose (a rather dangerous maneuver involving careful placement of claws and avoidance of eyes), they shook their head. "Whatever. What th' fuck ever. It's fine. Ev'rything's fine. Y'ain't gonna provoke me none before I get some aforementioned fffries or maybe somethin' shakey, y'all hear? I have been slurped outta my dimension, Mop, and y'ain't helpin' much, all shriekin' and shit. I am not somethin' fer you to control." That slice of teeth again, curled lip, fingers solid on their focus. "Neither are they." Regardless of any inconvenience and magical impotence in this dimension, Nik and Voss had shown Radish mostly courtesy and respect despite obvious temperamental and cultural differences. Mop, however, had given Radish a first impression of being confrontational and judgy, which they weren't ecstatic about. Maybe after a little time they'd warm up to Mop, but right now they were standoffish. "Y'can probably already sense that I got loads a majjykal reserves so don't try shit."

@queenie_flower@conradbirdie@thepensword

holla holla get dolla

Nik stepped away from Radish now, fingers safely hidden back inside his pockets. "I'm gonna go get the gift cards," he said, choosing to ignore the fact that he and Voss would probably be defusing arguments between Mop and Radish until they got un-slurped. "Nobody is threatening your campus cryptid title, Mop. Radish is just visiting. Unless they want to stay, and even then they're like, not a cryptid. Just... I'll be back." And with that, he walked quickly up to the door with the dented knob and shoved the door open (it stuck at the bottom) to get inside. The gift cards were easy enough to find, he had a stack of them in his desk. Nik shoved as many of them as he could find in his jacket pockets, swept the room for anything weird, and walked back into the hall. "Lets go," he said. 

Radish snorted. They were probably the least cryptid-like member of the party, what with their penchant for picking fights and exquisitely half-assed glamour spells. "Now, I'd've asked one'a y'all's t' explain capitalism to me, but I don't much care and it sounds awful. Plastic currency? Paper currency? Metal currency? Dunno how any a y'all's could keep from losin' it. Literally 'n metaphorically." Shooting one last confrontational glare at Mop before half-turning towards the door, they figured it wasn't a great idea to turn their back fully to her. Rad's focus was a little bulky in the corridor and probably would be in McD's too; a tall-ass thing, about six feet in length and bronzed tip to tail. Glamouring it wouldn't be hard, but kinetic magic was a little inconvenient in enclosed spaces where one wasn't trying to murder the people present. "If y'all's've got yer shit in order, let's blow this popsicle stand." God, English was fun.

@conradbirdie@queenie_flower@thepensword ((if you have my tumblr then i have some posts tagged 'cicada lore mechanics' for things relevant to this. let's get this show on the ROAD))

holla holla get dolla

"Hm," said Mop, watching the demon struggle with the unwieldy size of their focus—a large staff that was, in Mop's opinion, entirely over-the-top. Well, they could probably manage it on their own if they were as powerful as they seemed to want Mop to think, so her help may not be entirely necessary or entirely wanted, but she figured a little bit of showing off never hurt anyone. Just a small display to show that there was some substance behind her....not-quite-threats. "You seem to be having some difficulties. Here, I'll fix it for you." Mop lifted her hand into the air and snapped delicately, and the staff shrunk down to the size of a pencil. "Travel size. Far more convenient. If I were you, I'd keep it that way, instead of trying to lug it around all over the place like some sort of ridiculously unwieldy backpack. It seems quite heavy, and entirely unsubtle."

@queenie_flower @drowntown @conradbirdie

"Bitch," was the first thing out of Rad's mouth as their focus shrank into their palm. "Ain't you familiar with common courtesy at ALL? If you's'a been slurped into my dimension, y'ain't've lasted five seconds." To fucking hell with it, they figured, and twirling their tiny focus around clawed fingers was admittedly a little easier while they undid Mop's glamour halfway to a gaudy walking stick size, bronze suddenly dripping off it in cascades of what appeared to be beads. Oh, perfect. The drama deity had a shiny-ass parasol to go with their flair for theatrics. "An' that's how it's done," they all but sneered, tapping their glamoured staff onto the ground with finality, spinning it by the handle to accentuate the bullshit aesthetics they'd worked into it. And because this was, of course, some kind of pissing contest, Radish spent more magic on upping their physical glamour; while they apparently refused to vanish their horns, the red desaturated from them while they molded their appearance to something more human. "Bitch" was repeated at Mop with a much more self-satisfied air of confidence.

@thepensword@conradbirdie@queenie_flower (im crying i need to draw radish theyre so extra)

holla holla get dolla