Attention, CICADA community!
  • It’s time to say goodbye—the community at cicadamag.com is closing. Learn more...
Sign in to follow this  
Rye

inspiration

I'm just curious where people on this site draw inspiration from for their writing, and just other things that people are inspired by. For art, I'm inspired by Noelle Stevenson who is SO COOL, and Frida Kahlo. For music, there are so many people, but at the top, I'd put Carla Kihlstedt, Aurora Asknes, and most grunge bands from the 90s. And everyday life- just everything I experience is worth appreciating- the ocean, the lady driving down the street with a baby llama looking out of the passenger seat window, my seaside town almost empty in the winter, winter in general.

Seriously though, check out Carla Kihlstedt's music out. the melodies are crazy- experimental and WaCkY, but the lyrics are so gorgeous. 

Lookin' forward to seeing what you all are inspired by.

• Like 1

Well most of the time I just write what I feel so does emotional trauma count? Seriously  I think I have a problem.  Hmm where I live... people are  so weird. This site, my job/animals. And when I really really want to put entirely too much effort into something I go outside find a really quite spot or loud and close my eyes and when I open them I just look and see the beauty it what's around including people.  Like really really look and just think how lucky I can see all this.  It's amazing  but less when I think how other people can't see everything the way I do. That's about it. 

PS.  Lama thing is so great like I've seen something's but that is next on my list. 

I... don’t really know. That’s a great question. My life? My friends? The world around me? Other writers’ work (even you guys) inspires me a lot, at least indirectly. And I like the general composition of words. Words in general can be cool, and even if I don’t use that in my writing all the time, I just like to appreciate them.

generally (and if i remember to) i like to draw poetic inspiration from everyday things and write it down in my little flip phone. the square petal-like shadows that resemble vinca flowers cast by my ceiling fan, drawing connections between ravens' and hornets' wings, the way that distance folds faster when you're driving at night-- almost anything ive experienced is fair game. right now ive been really feeling some of that past trauma, so there's been a lot of that recently. i hoped i could get back into my poetic groove with the continuation of my poetry class, but the online-only format isn't cutting it so i haven't been sharing any of the work ive done in that class, unfortunately. reading work here also gives me ideas of how to fit language together better sometimes, too! ive been having trouble with being word-heavy on descriptions, so im currently working those description jitters out by writing some heavy fiction. im hoping to be back soon with vague, emotionally charged free verse tho!

musically, im inspired by the vague mood of the indie music my datemate sends me, and im currently working through the hamilton soundtrack. artistically, im inspired by other digital artists like casentine, cityinthesea, m-arci-a, and clock-heart.

holla holla get dolla

Sign in to follow this