thepensword

if YOU lied, and YOU lied, and I lied, WHO'S DRIVING THE SPACESHIP

Prompt: A select team of individuals from around the world has been sent to space to represent humanity. Unfortunately for everyone involved, each one of them lied on their application. Well, now they're a half hour away from making contact with the aliens, and the truth has just come out.

Name: Jacqueline Spade but if you call her anything other than Jack she will murder you.
Gender/Pronouns (if applicable): She/her
Species: Human
Height: 5'3"
Appearance (plus a visual reference if youve got one): Bright blue hair in that cool style with the shaved sides and the curls on top. You know the one. Brown eyes. Hips for days.
Applicable Quirks (accent, biases, languages spoken, phobias, etc): Hella bisexual. Really misses Doritos. Plays multiple instruments.
Quick Backstory: Jack has always loved space, but she's too atrocious at math to be an astrophysicist like she wanted so now she's a music major. Her parents (real uptight) wanted her to go into classic violin but Jack is more into the Indie Pop type of music. Her parents found out she wasn't actually studying violin at Juilliard like she claimed she was so she decided to run away. Always the dramatic, she decided to run away to space.
Weapons Abilities (if applicable): None. Jack is the clumsiest person you will ever meet. She likes to think she could swing a sword be she can't. She'd probably behead herself.
Powers? (if applicable): Don't challenge her to any competition involving the consumption of food. She will win.

(Hi there friends. I felt this forum was lacking in space and I make split-second decisions so here. Another RP. In SPACE.)

Jack isn't sure what she did to deserve this. It feels like the universe is playing some sort of cosmic joke on her. Like, oh, Jack, you thought it was a good idea to cheat your way into space? Too bad, everyone else thought it was a good idea too, and now you're all stuck on a spaceship heading to an alien planet to represent the human race.

This is a bad day. Or night. It's hard to tell, in space.

"So," she says, trying to stop her internal screaming from becoming external. "What do we do?"

Edited by thepensword

Name: Alexa Romero (nicknames accepted: Allie, Lex)
Gender/pronouns: She/her
Species: Human
Height: 5’9”
Appearance: Dark hair, wavier side of curly and cut just past her chin. Purply eyes bc this is the future and she can have purple/indigo eyes bc genetics are the bomb. A few darker freckle-like birthmarks on her right cheek. Wishes she had Jack’s hips, but she’s can fit better in a ventilation shaft, so…
Applicable Quirks/Quick Backstory (they merged a little so I’m going with it): Can do a bunch of shit with technology, but didn’t pass her Technical Theory exam with flying colors like she said on her application. Also, couldn’t tell you the names of half the stuff she makes. 11/10 at improvising, but like, it’s usually made mostly of duct tape and radio pieces and prayers to a god she doesn’t really believe in but it’s worked since she was a kid. Once broke into the Pentagon for fun, and got out without being caught. (That’s how she knows she can fit in vents.) scared of dying alone in space. But she’s here, and she might be queer, and she’s ready to act like she knows how to fix this spaceship. Loved Star Trek as a kid, when they could see it. It’s been around for Y E A R S by now, but people still watch it? I guess? Got into a space training program on a scholarship, then later learned that the admissions board was paid off to get her in by her kinda sleazy family. So, she decided to do nothing halfway. She would have done this anyway, but at that point she had the need for revenge to back her up. It got her into space, so she’s chill with it. 
Weapons Abilities: improvised weapons. Don’t challenge her to a fight or you’ll probably be sent to the infirmary from a life-threatening injury caused by three toothpicks and a packet of sugar. Is really hotheaded in fights, though, so her aim and focus is lacking. Still could win.
Powers: again, can fit in a vent, improv is a Strength, apparently good at lying on applications

“That’s a really fucking great question, Jack,” Alexa said, sprinting around the bridge and frantically tapping on screens. “I’d have an answer— Jesus, this chair is in the way— but the one fucking thing I made clear on my application was that I’m not a goddam diplomat. Does anyone know what this chart means? Something about full capacity of the wavelength something?” Of course she had thought it was a great idea to defy every expectation and actually go into space, despite the fact that she had the potential to completely fuck up this ship. And the people inside, she guessed. They were meeting literal aliens in under an hour. It didn’t matter. She glanced at a clock at the top of a fourth screen. “Did anyone not lie about something crucial to their position on this mission?”

Yo-I'ma join as soon as I have time to actually write. And as soon as I create a new OC. 

Not quite sure where I'm going, but I'm going somewhere, that's for sure.

Name: Kozmo/Koz

Gender/pronouns: who the fuck knows. They/them.

Species: human

Height: 5'6" on Earth, but they've  heard that people grow in space so they don't know anymore.

Appearance: Sports a constant 5 o'clock shadow. Muddy brown eyes and short blond hair. Has a tendency to slouch. Wears their program-issued satchel everywhere.

Applicable quirks: Has a tendency to be drunk at the worst possible times. No one even knows where they get the alcohol. Terrible at math. Rather impulsive. Australian accent.

Quick backstory: On the ship to avoid adulting and maybe, possibly, the IRS.  They just really doesn't know how to pay taxes and took the opportunity when they saw it. They grew up poor in Australia but moved to New York in their early teens and learned how to do some decent forgery, which is how they managed to get their application forms through.

Weapons abilities: They can make a shank out of literally anything. They're really good at knife fighting and has shot a gun once or twice.

Powers: none.

Kozmo stumbled their way to the bridge, where their crew mates were freaking out. "Sup guys?" they slurred. They looked at Alexa. "I lied about everything on my application. I was not, in fact, born to a rich white family in the United States," they winked. They looked at the data on the screen and were immediately sobered. "Well shit." They rummaged through their satchel for their flask and took a big swig before offering it around.

@thepensword @queenie_flower

Jack sighed. It was a loud sigh. It was the kind of sigh that says, I really want to scream but that's not socially acceptable so this is the closest I can get. "Ok," she said, and drummed her fingers across the control board as if it would somehow yield answers. "So. So we're going to be meeting aliens in an hour. Uh. And I know I lied on my application and apparently so did the rest of you so. Um. Well I think we probably need a plan, huh? I mean I'd really like a fucking plan here."

@queenie_flower @Short_comedian

@Short_comedian @thepensword 

“Are you drinking?” Alexa asked incredulously, looking away from the screens for a moment to the person next to her and shoving the offered bottle away. “Fuck, dude. Jack, you’re going to have to talk to whoever they are, Koz’s going to cause an intergalactic incident and we’ve established I’m shit at compromising.” She flicked the screen once, stepping around the chair to get to another one. “Did you lie about your name? Because that’s also going to be a problem. I don’t give a shit if you’ve come from money. I’ve probably come from more, kiddo,” she spat, racing halfway across the bridge to another screen. “A plan would be great, Jack. A plan would be fucking fantastic right about now. Also, what’s the password to access the executive controls of the ship? That’s step one of my plan. I don’t have any other steps, so if someone’d come up with one that’d be pretty swell.” She looked back over her shoulder to the others. “I feel like this is a bad time to mention I nearly flunked my flight exam, but that’s mostly because my proctor hated my guts. Anyway, the password?”

Edited by queenie_flower

Jack gaped. "You flunked your—" She brought a hand up to massage her temple, the beginnings of a migraine forming. "Goddamnit, nevermind. The password is 1NT3RGALACT1C, all caps and with 1s replacing the i's and 3s replacing the e's." Then she turned to Koz, frown growing even deeper than before. "Where did you even find alcohol on this ship? I mean how in the hell."

@queenie_flower @Short_comedian

Alexa's fingers flew over the screen, spelling out the code aloud as she typed: "One-N-T-three-R-G-A-L-A-C-T-one-C. And... i'm in. Stay cool, Captain Jack. I'm working on it. I think Step Two of my badass plan that will totally work is to use the password to change our route. I may have almost flunked my practical flight exam-- that's an important distinction to make, Jack, almost-- but even I can tell that flying directly into the aliens at this speed is a shit idea. Who organized this mission?" She shoved the sleeves of her uniform jacket back up to her elbows and swiped at the screen again before sprinting back over to Koz's station and ducking under his arm to type the password in on their screen (no easy feat, she was still taller than him and they were leaning on the panel). "And how the actual fuck did you get that? That smells so strong it's probably not legal." 

@thepensword @Short_comedian 

Edited by queenie_flower
respecting koz’s pronouns bc I screwed up sorry y’all

Sorry, my turn! I've neglected this for a while but now I have a class period to do what I want (though I should be doing NHD) so here I go!

"I didn't lie about my name, as incredible as it sounds," Koz said, taking another swig from the flask. "I made it from some of the freeze dried fruit. Just rehydrated it, let it ferment, bada bing bada boom. What do you want me to do? I'm actually pretty functional while drunk," they smirked as they turned to look at their screen.

@queenie_flower @thepensword @Rye

Edited by Short_comedian

@thepensword @Short_comedian @Rye

Alexa stared at Koz for a moment in stunned silence, then looked back to their temporarily shared screen. “I’d say you’re resourceful, but Jack’s looking about how I feel right now, so I’m going to just continue dismantling this security system so I can continue Step Two of my very developed plan.” She ducked back under their arm and turned to Jack. “Again, still accepting contributions unless they’re stupid-ass contributions. But considering we’re all here, we at least have to be smart enough to weasel our way out of whatever shithole we dig ourselves into. Also, any idea of what a ‘security threat code blue’ is or where the ‘sector four border’ ends because we may be going through a slight battle zone because our flight planners forgot about the colonial wars up here— jesuschristtheyrereallyclose JACK!”

(Oh yikes that's me)

"Fuck," said Jack very eloquently. "Fuck fuck fuck. Ok, ok plan. Ok, Koz, just...just sit down and try not to mess anything up. Alexa, do we have any idea who's who in this battle? Where are our allies? Can we communicate with them? Fuck, I'm gonna have to figure out something to say. No, it's fine, I'll make something up." Jack tucked a lose strand of hair behind her ear and leaned on the monitor for better view out the front window. "Ok so ignoring the 'almost flunked' part of you passing the flight exam, can you turn us off autopilot and get us outside the battle zone?" Another glance at the map told her they were relatively close to a nearby moon that from what she could tell, seemed untouched by the war around it. At the very least she didn't see any obvious structures or fighter ships whizzing around its surface. "Can you land us there until we figure something out?"

@queenie_flower @Short_comedian @Rye

Sorry I know I just went but I’m EXCITED let me live please

Alexa looked up from her screen, moving to another one. “Not too sure. The colonies on these two moons here are pissed at each other. Probably over farmland. We’re friends with the ones in the bluish ships with the gold siding, and the green ones want to destroy us. This ship’s got pretty neutral colors, so we should be okay, but try to get rid of any insignias you’re wearing if they try to video chat. We have comm links set up with all the landing sites, and the diplomatic centers of  the blue and gold ones and the Kardas, the ones famous for all those gravity developments lately? They’re very sciency. I think fighting with them’s a bad idea, we don’t have good enough weapons or shields yet.” She swiped the files over to another screen, then tapped a few times. “You should be able to see the stats on your screen now. Anyway, I’m going to ignore your comment about me being bad at stuff and proceed to successfully steer us out of the damn war zone we got steered into and land on that spot you’re vaguely pointing at. Fucking bureaucracy, man. Who planned this route?” She switched off autopilot and began to steer the way. “Koz, what are you doing? You’ve been pretty quiet.”

((Ok wait hold on that was a lot of world building all of a sudden. I'm gonna need you to explain because I'm suddenly very lost. Are the colonies human colonies or alien colonies?))

((Ummm idk maybe a mix? I have about as much of a plan as Alexa does. By which I mean I’m making this up as I go. If it is aliens, it’s aliens we knew about, which means that the aliens we’re about to encounter are NEW aliens. If it’s humans, they’ve probably adapted some bc successful colonies in other habitats. I literally just made up three different groups. Idk anything. Sorry kids))

When Kozmo heard about entering the battle zone, they left. They entered the quartermaster's chamber of the ship and took stock of what they had. They grabbed a couple laser guided hand missiles, a roll of duct tape, and some miscellaneous metal parts. They approached the bridge. "I think now would be the time for a space walk," they announced, dropping their supplies into a pile and leaving to get their space suit. They made one more stop at the quartermaster's chamber and grabbed some paint and a space maintenance kit. They got their suit on and walked back to the bridge to get the large pile of filched items they left there. Eventually, they made it into the vacuum of space, tethered to the ship by a hastily tied line. It was game time.

@queenie_flower @Rye @thepensword 

"What the fuck," hissed Jack. "What the fuck. Koz what the fuck?!" She turned wildly towards Alexa and pointed out the window at their floating teammate. "Did you give them permission to do that?!" A laser whizzed past close enough to rattle the ship and Jack winced, knuckles going white on the dashboard. "Wait, no, fuck, I don't care. Can you still land the goddamn ship?" Not waiting for an answer, she jammed a finger into the button that would turn on the comm unit to Koz's suit. "What the fuck are you doing?" she snapped. "Get back in here!"

God, she was going to die out here in space. Why couldn't she have just sucked it up and studied violin like her parents wanted her to? 

((((wow so autocorrect REALLY doesn't like coz's coz Oz Koz's name))))) @Short_comedian @queenie_flower @Rye

Alexa gave herself approximately two seconds to be thoroughly stunned, then snapped back into action, hair whipping around her face as she turned to survey Jack and Koz, who was still in the out. “Of course I didn’t give them permission! Even I wouldn’t do something that stupid!” She opened Koz’s comm link on the screen closest to the steering controls and screamed into it, dramatically leaning in even though it could have picked her up from across the room. “KOZ! Get back inside the ship, you little shit! At least explain why we’re going to die!”  She looked over at Jack. “I can totally land the ship. Don’t worry about that. And I’m going to do it carefully, so Koz doesn’t die alone in space, even if that idea is tempting,” she said in a much more confident tone. She was visibly nervous though, free fingers drumming on the edge of the panel. She shoved at her sleeves again. This sucked. All of this kinda sucked. At least she didn’t have to go to more slimy political dinners, she thought, jabbing at the screen. And at least she got to make a decision of her own for once. She twirled her fingers against the glass, steering their ship closer to the far moon. Hopefully Koz wouldn’t be targeted. They were pretty visible against the outside of the ship.

@Rye @thepensword @Short_comedian 

Edited by queenie_flower