The way I chose this topic is actually a little funny. I first wanted to do the Battle of Guam, because my grandfather fought in that battle during World War II. I then learned about Albert Cashier, a transgender man who fought in the Civil War and lived the rest of his life as a man, and I pursued that topic, but, alas, I could not find enough information on this elusive man. I then switched back to the Battle of Guam, mistaking it for Guantanamo Bay. Once I realized my mistake, I decided to focus my efforts on Guantanamo Bay, discovering the Platt Amendment. It took many restarts, but I finally settled on my topic.

A few people who really helped me with the research for this project are: my school’s librarian, my boyfriend (who found 5 sources for me while I was racing against a deadline that was next period), and my mom, who lied to me and told me I needed 18 sources two weeks before they were due. Thanks mom. I found all of my sources online, usually when I was typing something up and realized there was a hole in my research. I used a few of my school’s databases, but not many. Those weren’t very helpful. One of my most useful sources was the National Archives article about the First Marine Battalion. It was useful to me because it was very detailed in the specifics of the...things they did. What things, I can’t remember right now. Another really useful source was the Platt Amendment. Excellent primary source. Mmmmm hit me up with that primary sourceyness.

Ok, so I was told that the fourth paragraph is where I’m supposed to describe any difficulty in the project, so I’m just gonna be frank: this whole thing was a hot mess of difficulty and tears. So glad this is my last one.

And this is where I’m supposed to make you guys think that this topic is important and connected to the theme. I’m gonna be brutally honest here, this topic only barely relates to the theme. However, it is important, because there are still people being held at Guantanamo Bay unlawfully and being tortured. The US is violating so many human rights both at home (hello, I can’t pee in the men’s room in most southern states without getting shot) and abroad (look at what my topic is. It’s quite obvious.)

• Like 2

Not quite sure where I'm going, but I'm going somewhere, that's for sure.

@drowntown i mean, it's not being graded? so I might turn it in like this. I am gonna write a better one...so maybe I'll put the official one on the website and give this one to the judges at my school as a joke.

Okay that would be hilarious but process papers for NHD? My dude I RELATE! Guess who’s staying up until 11:59 tomorrow?

i think im missing something...............the fuck is NHD and judges im so lost

holla holla get dolla

@drowntown NHD is National History Day, which is a competition to see who can do better historical research and present it. In other words, its 4 months of tears. The process paper is something that has to accompany your project to explain your process.

• Surprised 1

holy shit man dude we just did Classroom-Based Assessments for like a week and then was done with it

holla holla get dolla

6 hours ago, Short_comedian said:

In other words, its 4 months of tears.

Okay NO. If you pick a topic you’re super interested in it’s only a week of tears after like 3 3/4 months of researching and picking layouts. 

Sign in to follow this