Attention, CICADA community!
  • It’s time to say goodbye—the community at cicadamag.com is now closed. Learn more...
Sign in to follow this  
Apollo's Lover

Partial Proust Questionnaire (Ada)

I did a whole Proust questionnaire for a new character I made named Ada. Here's some parts of it: (the font is weird because I copied it from google docs)

What is your idea of perfect happiness?

Ada: Perfect happiness doesn’t exist.  

What is your current state of mind?

Ada: Well, by making me think about my current state of mind you’ve probably changed it.

What is your most marked characteristic?

Ada: Do you mean physical or the other one? If you mean physical, then my hair, but if you mean the other one than my logicalness. Logicalness is not a word, but it makes sense according to English suffix rules, so I don’t see any problem with using it.

When and where were you the happiest?

Ada: Well, this one time I was playing with my band and we were outside and it was just the perfect temperature and just the perfect windiness and it smelled like spring and it felt like spring and we played perfect like we were spring and not people.

What is it that you most dislike?

Ada: That beautiful things are supposed to sound poetic when you describe them, despite the highest point of beauty being the transcendence of words.

What is your greatest fear?

Ada: That I will go too insane, or that I won’t go insane enough. Sometimes when I feel that feeling like you aren’t part of yourself anymore and instead you’re part of the world, or the world’s thoughts, or someone else, or I don’t know, just something that you wouldn’t find if you took yourself apart, I think I’ve gone to far and I try to become myself again, but when I get back, I miss that feeling, and I’m afraid I won’t be able to find it again because I’m trying too hard to shield myself from it.

Which living person do you most despise?

Ada: I thought this was a serious questionnaire, not a gossip session.

What is your greatest regret?

Ada: I never told my best friend from Kansas that I was moving to Ireland, so now he probably thinks I’m dead or something. On second thought, even if he thought that at first, he’s probably realized by now that the conclusions you draw as a nine year old are often wrong, and corrected his hypothesis to something more realistic and closer to the truth. To him though, I’m really as good as dead since we’ll never see each other again.

What is the quality you most like in a man?

Ada: I really thought this wasn’t a gossip session.

What is the quality you most like in a woman?

Ada: Well, I understand the last question better now, but I don’t understand why you asked them separately since they should have the same answer. The ability to be someone you love and someone loveable.

What do you most value in your friends?

Ada: The ability to accept that presentable me isn’t all of me, but it’s all of me anyone outside my head is ever going to be authorized to see, because the rest of me is in a state of permanent disrepair.

On what occasions do you lie?

Ada: Never. It’s mutually detrimental and therefore as useless as eloquence. I always speak as true as I can, but I don’t try to make it pretty. In short, I tell all the truth but not a bit slant.

What are your favorite names?

Ada: Names aren’t important. They’re just a label so we can distinguish one person from another when we’re talking.

If you were to die and come back as a person or thing, what do you think it would be?

Ada: I don’t deign to know the workings of the afterlife. Knowing if there even is an afterlife is impossible since no one can experience what’s after death and report back to the living. I think the most sensible idea is that nothing happens to us after we die besides our bodies decomposing. Our “soul” is only electrical impulses in the brain. Our whole experience of living is, really. It would be nice to think there’s something more after death, but it just isn’t reasonable.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 12:45 PM, Apollo's Lover said:

What is it that you most dislike?

Ada: That beautiful things are supposed to sound poetic when you describe them, despite the highest point of beauty being the transcendence of words.

Oh wow. I feel this so much. Mind if I... use it? With credit to you and so on. 

Sign in to follow this