whisper farewell with tears in throat and fly with anxiety and excitement;

escape one life to visit another

here is a world that is quiet and calm

(except at night or in the early morning;

afternoon stillness is a deception, for at night comes the singing and the drums.)

and the bells—oh, the bells.

ceaseless chime from yonder tower over orange-tile rooftops.

green shutters open over cobblestone streets with cafe tables and people walking,

wind blows heat past into something not-quite reaching coolness.

come with me to the garden and look out to the hills;

they tower as mountains, nestled with houses like anthills in fields or beehives on branches

i hate it here, says the beautiful girl with the rolling words. i want to visit your home

think of the gray asphalt streets and the crooked stop signs

the grass is always greener on the other side, the sky always a deeper shade of blue.

sometimes i want to go home. marbles in feet and sweat between thighs, but oh, how are voices ring.

there is difficulty in distance;

and a sort of detachment from reality

is this my life? is this my world?

this is a liminal space that exists in the moment and will remain in photographs;

across the waves, my family still slumbers as the noonday sun rises above my head. 

will i remember this when i return? will i forget the details—the smile of the barista, the stray cat crouched in the shade? will i forget the deafening wind in the microphones?

i think i will not forget the hills, rolling and fantastical;

at the very least, i will have the evidence saved for later viewing.

at last visit, i painted this scene;

i could not capture its essence.

but evidence, i think, will remain in the deep pockets of my voice,

and my song will linger in the corners of cathedrals.

• Like 1

First of all, jess my girl, this is beautiful and the imagery makes me want to drop everything and move to italy

secondly, in no particular order:

4 hours ago, thepensword said:

i hate it here, says the beautiful girl with the rolling words. i want to visit your home

think of the gray asphalt streets and the crooked stop signs

the grass is always greener on the other side, the sky always a deeper shade of blue.

(throwback to our country poems) but this flows so nicely with the rest of the poem, even if it fits in as more of an aside

will i remember this when i return? will i forget the details—the smile of the barista, the stray cat crouched in the shade? will i forget the deafening wind in the microphones?

I don’t really know why I like this part, but I do. (I feel like you could go either way with line breaks and repeating the will I a second time) 

I could not capture its essence.

Very relatable problem, but here I feel like you do a good job of verbally capturing it. I suggest going more in depth on the essence, what bits of it you can describe.

and my song will linger in the corners of cathedrals.

Good line to end on. Musical, a little alliteration, gotta have a cathedral somewhere.

• Like 1