violet

chapbooks!

i have a chapbook about soulmates that i'm working on, and so i was wondering, i guess, if any of y'all have chapbooks you'd like to share?

they/them pronouns please
i love you all

im not familiar with the concept of chapbooks but im thinking of putting together something with what i consider the best of my work in it?? i was gonna call it an anthology but i think an anthology is compiled of a lot of peoples' work but uh yeah ainm's got me inspired to do something like that as well..... it's a really good idea honestly?? and like. i was also thinking about self-publishing through amazon bc i hear that's relatively easy?? 

ive heard about online write-ins where people gather on an IMing client and chat while we all work on our respective projects (kind of like a coffeeshop poetry jam) and i think it would be super cool if some people here wanted to self-publish at the same time or something :000 like cicadamag poetry club

holla holla get dolla

18 minutes ago, woundedBirds said:

im not familiar with the concept of chapbooks but im thinking of putting together something with what i consider the best of my work in it??

Okay, chapbooks. Chapbooks are an incredibly cool form of low-cost publishing. Chapbook history here. Today, chapbooks can be collections of your best work, collections of work done within a certain time period of your life, collections done on a theme, etc., but they're generally small (think 10-20ish poems), produced in small quantities (I produced 50 of mine), and made with care (nice paper, hand bound, really cool covers, the works). [Side note: I honestly think my chapbook is cooler in the physical version because of these things.] At any rate, chapbooks are a really incredible medium, and I highly recommend this project.

Also, a class that I took in college (Advanced Poetry Workshop) talked a lot about chapbooks, and then each of my classmates and I produced a chapbook of our own at the end of the class. If anyone wants me to post pictures of cool examples of chapbooks from aforementioned class, let me know! 

• Like 3

ᚐᚅᚋ 

14 minutes ago, Ainm said:

Okay, chapbooks. Chapbooks are an incredibly cool form of low-cost publishing. Chapbook history here. Today, chapbooks can be collections of your best work, collections of work done within a certain time period of your life, collections done on a theme, etc., but they're generally small (think 10-20ish poems), produced in small quantities (I produced 50 of mine), and made with care (nice paper, hand bound, really cool covers, the works). [Side note: I honestly think my chapbook is cooler in the physical version because of these things.] At any rate, chapbooks are a really incredible medium, and I highly recommend this project.

Also, a class that I took in college (Advanced Poetry Workshop) talked a lot about chapbooks, and then each of my classmates and I produced a chapbook of our own at the end of the class. If anyone wants me to post pictures of cool examples of chapbooks from aforementioned class, let me know! 

omfg id love to see a few chapbooks!!! my mom knows how to bookbind and i know a little bit about it and now im really interested

• Like 1

holla holla get dolla

So this is going to a multipost sort of thing, since I want to talk a bit about how the outside of each chapbook was done. (All names are covered to protect my classmates' identities and insides of the books will not be shown since their poetry is not mine to publish.)

The cover of this chapbook was done with a leftover woodblock print from a friend of the author. The chapbook is hand-bound. 

File_001 (7).jpeg

ᚐᚅᚋ 

This one is a chapbook that I helped produce; the orange drawn on the cover was done by me.

File_000 (35).jpeg

ᚐᚅᚋ 

Another chapbook. I don't know as much about the cover of this one, but it's cool.

File_004_(1).jpeg

ᚐᚅᚋ 

This one used different old anatomical heart drawing for the cover and is printed on handmade paper.  

File_005.jpeg

ᚐᚅᚋ 

Again, I don't know as much about how this one was made, but I love the graphic design.

File_003_(2).jpeg

ᚐᚅᚋ 

And... this one's mine. I used an old newspaper page picture, because I generally scribble my poetry in the margins of things that aren't meant to be written on. (Hence the title of "margins".)

File_002_(4).jpeg

• Like 1

ᚐᚅᚋ 

24 minutes ago, woundedBirds said:

omfg id love to see a few chapbooks!!! 

...I guess that was more than a few. Hope that's helpful/interesting to y'all! (Also, I am excited to talk about chapbooks - any part of the process - any time.)

ᚐᚅᚋ 

1 minute ago, Ainm said:

...I guess that was more than a few. Hope that's helpful/interesting to y'all! (Also, I am excited to talk about chapbooks - any part of the process - any time.)

GOD I LOVE THESE OMFG

• Like 3

holla holla get dolla

i love them!!!!!!!!

a note: does anyone have tips for Uh producing chapbooks??? like how to hand-bind them and whatnot.

i love you all

1 hour ago, violet said:

a note: does anyone have tips for Uh producing chapbooks??? like how to hand-bind them and whatnot.

I used a three-hole pamphlet stitch (a fancy term that I just learned today), which seems to be simplest. A good tutorial for that can be found on page two of this document: https://www.loc.gov/preservation/resources/educational/bookarts/pamphlet.pdf . Alternatively, if you want to get fancy, there's a couple of good tutorials here, including how to print: https://www.pw.org/content/diy_how_to_make_and_bind_your_own_chapbook . (Printers are the natural enemy of poets and will always thwart your plans.) 

Pro-tip: Make a mock-up copy first. Print on paper you don't care about, and go through and catch all the mistakes (including the inevitable upside down page). Practice binding on this copy. Then go do the real thing. 

Bonus pro-tip: Have an editor. You'll need someone to give you sound feedback on your poems, as well as to proofread. (Plus, it's sometimes fun to have someone else make art for your chapbook cover based on their interpretation of your poems, not your own.) 

Um... I'm sure more tips and hints will come to me. Are there specific things you have questions about?

• Like 1

ᚐᚅᚋ 

11 hours ago, Ainm said:

I used a three-hole pamphlet stitch (a fancy term that I just learned today), which seems to be simplest. A good tutorial for that can be found on page two of this document: https://www.loc.gov/preservation/resources/educational/bookarts/pamphlet.pdf . Alternatively, if you want to get fancy, there's a couple of good tutorials here, including how to print: https://www.pw.org/content/diy_how_to_make_and_bind_your_own_chapbook . (Printers are the natural enemy of poets and will always thwart your plans.) 

Pro-tip: Make a mock-up copy first. Print on paper you don't care about, and go through and catch all the mistakes (including the inevitable upside down page). Practice binding on this copy. Then go do the real thing. 

Bonus pro-tip: Have an editor. You'll need someone to give you sound feedback on your poems, as well as to proofread. (Plus, it's sometimes fun to have someone else make art for your chapbook cover based on their interpretation of your poems, not your own.) 

Um... I'm sure more tips and hints will come to me. Are there specific things you have questions about?

im sure questions will come to me as i format it!!!! thank you <3

i love you all

also! does anyone have ideas or concepts or whatever for if i'm doing a chapbook abt soulmates? bc i'm planning to print 10 or so copies to start and i need Ideas for the cover, you know?

i love you all

13 minutes ago, violet said:

also! does anyone have ideas or concepts or whatever for if i'm doing a chapbook abt soulmates? bc i'm planning to print 10 or so copies to start and i need Ideas for the cover, you know?

a couple things, half based on poems i have written; hands, reaching and/or clasping. also thread. thread as what binds people together. the red thread legend. :)

• Like 1

mouse / she/her.

1 minute ago, mouse said:

a couple things, half based on poems i have written; hands, reaching and/or clasping. also thread. thread as what binds people together. the red thread legend. :)

the red string of fate... yes. but i have this Vision (TM) of a watercolor cover? and idk how i could work the red string into that, you know?

• Like 1

i love you all

addendum: watercolor paper, pastel watercolors like shades of?? pink and purple. yeah.

i love you all

4 hours ago, violet said:

You want to use complementing colors. Soulmate alway complement one another. You could do like a swirl of colors almost as if the two colors are dancing trying to become one. 

17 minutes ago, X_of_Coins said:

You want to use complementing colors. Soulmate alway complement one another. You could do like a swirl of colors almost as if the two colors are dancing trying to become one. 

good idea!!! i bought watercolor paper and red string today and im gonna bind my chapbook w/ red thread :D

• Like 1

i love you all

5 minutes ago, violet said:

good idea!!! i bought watercolor paper and red string today and im gonna bind my chapbook w/ red thread :D

You have to show us when you're finished!  I bet it's going to look awesome Great Idea with the Red thread by the way. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, X_of_Coins said:

You have to show us when you're finished!  I bet it's going to look awesome Great Idea with the Red thread by the way. 

i will!

• Like 1

i love you all