mouse

Capitalization

I love seeing how poet's styles differ, and one of the really obvious ways is the use of capitalization. do you use it? at every line or just at new sentences? all lower case? why?

i generally use lower case, bc i like the way it looks on a page and allows a more interpretive flow. i also like that lower case all have the same "status" there's this weird sense of equality and this ordinary, unassuming quality to it. i feel like it parallels life, since there really are only a handful of emotions we can all feel, yet infinite circumstances. the sameness amidst all the infinity and complications.

anyway, would love to hear your thoughts... including which you like to read?

• Like 1

mouse / she/her.

hmm. tbH i Don’t Quite Trust people who “”traditionally”” capitalize their poems (that is to say, capitalizing new lines/new sentences/whatever) but that’s probably just cause proper capitalization reminds me of adults :/

and i write in all lowercase 98% of the time Everywhere? so ! 

Edited by violet

they/them pronouns please
i love you all

I write primarily in lowercase (for similar reasons to what mouse said so much more eloquently than I could), but I occasionally capitalize proper nouns in poems where I references people/places that are not me/mine (because it just feels respectful). Capitalizing each line feels unnecessary/redundant to me, and I hardly ever write in clear sentences when I poet, so... Obviously, I'm in the habit of being very traditionally grammatical in my comments and my writing of everything besides poetry. That's a habit I can't seem to break. :P

In general, I like to read things with consistent capitalization rules. Y'all can do whatever you want with your capitalization (of course), but I like it best when there's logic behind it. 

ᚐᚅᚋ

I usually capitalize the beginnings of thoughts (not necessarily sentences or lines but they could be) because I need the clarity and I like the pause it adds especially if I'm not using punctuation.

i write in what my datemate affectionately calls 'aloof hipster' style

the shift key is so far away

so close
and yet so far

im very lazy

holla holla get dolla

I tend to alternate between using no capital letters and using proper capitalization.

Sometimes I'll capitalize words to personify them, in either form.

O. Captain / Cap / Nevermore || fae/faer, they/them, it/its, neutral pronouns

your local space captain and eldritch horror extraordinaire

*shrugs*

for me it depends on the content, the aesthetic, my mood, how much sleep I’ve gotten, if I’m writing on a laptop or phone or paper, if I’ve read other people’s work lately— I’m cutting myself off before I get into paragraphs of this.