Sign in to follow this  
flamecoloredglowstick

Scripts/Screenwriting?

So I think I'm gonna try writing a tv show script?? i'm pumped but i've also never done this before haha. 

has anyone ever done screenwriting before? if you have, what was it about? 

also i need advice i have no idea what i'm doing

I've written a full length screenplay. It was fanfic with nearly all original characters. (Basically, I stole someone's universe and wrote my own story.) 

1 hour ago, flamecoloredglowstick said:

also i need advice i have no idea what i'm doing

Advice: 

(1) Dialogue is key. You ought to explain nearly everything about how and why something is said through the dialogue itself. Adverbs are not your friend. 

(2) Minimize description. You may have a very specific vision of how things ought to look, but that's fundamentally not the purpose of a screenplay. (Likewise, don't include camera directions.)

(3) It'll take you a while to get the hang of the style, so be prepared to edit heavily.

(4) Always show, don't tell. Even more so than in prose. 

Screenplays are a really fun writing exercise. Good luck, and feel free to ask more questions!

ᚐᚅᚋ

On 12/7/2017 at 12:48 PM, Ainm said:

It was fanfic with nearly all original characters. (Basically, I stole someone's universe and wrote my own story.) 

Well you were a step ahead of me in my fanfiction stage... I don't think I made up anyone new haha. 

Thanks so much for all the tips! 

hey, also!! id really recommend celtx as a script writing program? its online (which sucks) and the free version only lets you have 3 projects at a time (which sucks even more), but the free version has everything you need to just write, so you could make multiple account if you need, or something?

Edited by conradbirdie

current number of classic lit characters ive gone out of my way to project on and reason out why they might be gay: 8

15 hours ago, conradbirdie said:

hey, also!! id really recommend celtx as a script writing program? its online (which sucks) and the free version only lets you have 3 projects at a time (which sucks even more), but the free version has everything you need to just write, so you could make multiple account if you need, or something?

okay, cool! i'll check it out, thanks!

• Like 1