mouse

pen names!

yall! so! when/if ya straight up publish work, what do you use, your real name or a pen name?

so i've been published in cicada under like three names. smh @ me. I've used a stage name (mouse, as i am here). one time an anthology rejected my pen name, used my real name, but misspelled my last name. 

but i think i have finally settled on "jo rather." thought?? idk man.

jo referencing jo march and also joe willard, two writing fictional cuties. rather, my mom actually thought of after seeing the poster i made of levi the poet's lyrics: "i'd rather have you than all of my answers."

so anyway, yeah, i'm just curious. if you use a pen name, how did you choose? why?

mouse / she/her.

K, so in the one (1) time I actually found it within myself to have something published, I used my real, very unique name. I was proud of the piece, and didn’t care if people knew it was me. 

If I use a pen name for anonymity, or privacy, or for a slim-shady/Sasha fierce-esque persona (idk I haven’t done that but if you’re into that go ahead), I like to use things that a dedicated person could trace back to me. For example, queenie_flower is based off my first and last name, since I was partially named after a queen, and my last name is linked to flowers, to put it mildly. That could be a me thing, but I hope that helps!

• Like 1

i cant remember if last year i used my slam username or my pen name for the best of the slam, but my pen name is my chosen name...
idk ive nver really thought about it since i just fall back on my chosen name since nobody can use that to Actually Find me since it's a name unique enough that (according to the google) < 5 people have and none of those people are me so

unrelatedly i just like bird usernames so here i am, woundedBirds and some variant of corpuscorvus on most sites

• Like 1

holla holla get dolla

I've never had the need to use a pen name, sadly. I've only ever been published in The Best of the Slam. It's been a while since I've tried to submit a poem for normal publishing. 

• Like 1

Not quite sure where I'm going, but I'm going somewhere, that's for sure.

i've been published in one thing, and i just used my real name for that, since i didn't think to do anything different... 

but if i were to publish a book (somewhere in the distant future) i might do that initials thing. Like if my name was joe bob smith i would go by j. b. smith.  Or i might just chose something totally different. But it probably wouldn't be my exact real name... because i don't hate it but sometimes i feel like something else would represent me better.

• Like 1

My first pen name, Nevermore Quill, came from this old forum; I've always loved "The Raven" so that's where I got Nevermore, and my best friend went by the moniker Ink, so I eventually added Quill.

My name now comes from "O captain, my captain," and is also a nod to my chosen name.

• Like 1

O. Captain / Cap / Nevermore || any pronouns

see ya, space captain

I've been Ainm on the Slam since the beginning of time (2011, sayeth my profile. Wow.) and I think I've published under that a few times... (Fourteen-year-old me chose it because it meant "name" in Irish. Never mind that I had no idea how to pronounce it; it just looked nice.) I've published under my legal name at least once, possibly twice. I've also published under my chosen name a couple of other times. And now I'm looking at a new legal name, so I might be publishing under that, and maybe using initials? Who knows. 

[Disclaimer: it's finals week, I'm sick, and I'm currently procrastinating an imminently due paper. (I'm a mess, y'all.) This therefore may not be the most coherent thing.]

• Like 1

ᚐᚅᚋ

On 12/19/2017 at 5:04 PM, Ainm said:

I had no idea how to pronounce it

dude....dude....ive been too shy to ask and yet....it turns out you dont know either im sobbing dkgjdfsksds

when talking about the slam with my friends ive tried everything from 'ain-em' to just leaving the M silent....

image.png.4260334f25a815842d4f52002c854471.png....thanks bing

• Like 1

holla holla get dolla

1 minute ago, woundedBirds said:

it turns out you dont know either im sobbing dkgjdfsksds

Full disclosure, it took me years to figure out how to pronounce it. (I finally did a bunch of research on Irish pronunciation, and it's pronounced "ah-nim", because apparently the Irish do this weird thing where if two consonants sound too weird/are too hard to say together, they just shove in a vowel between them.) But funnier full disclosure, I spelled my own damn username wrong ("Aimn" instead of the usual) for two years until another Slammer pointed it out to me. As you can see, my past self in no way had their shit together.

• Like 1

ᚐᚅᚋ